These broccoli tots are a great snack or side dish and a fun and delicious way to eat more greens. They are so easy to make and you only need four ingredients.
If you’ve ever had tater tots you know what a delicious side dish or snack they are, but if you’re looking for a way to switch out potatoes for a healthier veggie these broccoli tater tots are a great option. Like the Cauliflower Tots I made previously, these broccoli tots are a fun twist on regular tater tots.
What are Broccoli Tots?
Broccoli tots are similar to tater tots except they aren’t made with potatoes. Instead of potatoes, they are made with broccoli florets that have been finely chopped. Combined with a few other simple ingredients like breadcrumbs, cheese, and egg these broccoli tots are pretty easy to make and a fun way to eat more veggies.
- Broccoli: I like to use my food processor to finely chop the broccoli. Break a head of broccoli into florets, pop them in the food processor, and pulse them until they break down into small pieces. If you don’t own a food processor, you can chop by hand too.
- Like I mentioned, once the tots are baked, they aren’t very green which is great if you want them to look like regular tater tots. If you prefer a greener color, I recommend blanching the broccoli for a few minutes before you finely chop it. This will give the tots a more vibrant green color.
- Italian Seasoned Panko Breadcrumbs: I like to use seasoned panko instead of plain because it gives the broccoli tots a lot of flavor. If you can’t find seasoned panko you can use plain, but I recommend adding some dried Italian seasoning to the batter.
- Cheddar Cheese: Who doesn’t love their broccoli with some cheddar cheese? It’s such a great combo and I like to add some cheese to the tots because it gives them a cheesy kick and it also helps bind the ingredients together. You can use mild or sharp cheddar cheese.
- Egg: The egg acts as a binder for the tots. Regular tater tots have a lot of starch from potatoes that keep the tots from falling apart. These broccoli tots don’t have all of that starch so the egg, along with the cheese, also helps them keep their shape.
After the tots are baked you almost can’t tell they’re made with broccoli because the green color is very light and the texture is similar to regular tots, but you can definitely taste the broccoli flavor. If you really really hate broccoli you might like my Mashed Potato Tots or Sweet Potato Tater Tots instead.
How to Make Broccoli Tots
You only need four ingredients, a food processor and a little bit of time to shape the tots before you bake them.
Once you have all of the ingredients prepped all you have to do is place them all in a mixing bowl and stir until they are well combined.
How to Shape Them: Scoop up a generous tablespoon of the broccoli tot mixture. Squeeze the mixture in your hand two to three times. This will help remove some excess moisture and will ensure your broccoli tots hold their shape while they bake. Using your hands, shape the mixture into a tot shape about one inch long.
How to Bake Them: Place the broccoli tots in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the tots for 15 minutes at 400°F. After 15 minutes, the tots should be crispy and golden brown on one side, so flip them over and cook them for another 8 minutes.
They are great all on their own, but it’s great to add a dipping sauce on the side. Here are some dipping sauce ideas to try:
- Ranch dressing
- Sriracha mayo
- Cheese sauce
Or use them to make totchos like my Cauliflower Tot Nachos.
Can you make these gluten-free?
I haven’t tried these gluten-free, but you might like my gluten-free cauliflower tater tots.
Can you freeze them?
Yes, once you’ve baked them allow them to cool to room temperature. Store them in a freezer container or bag and they will keep well in the freezer. You can reheat them in the oven or in an air fryer.
When I “tested” half a dozen of these broccoli tater tots right out of the oven I had to stop myself to take a few photos before they all disappeared. Once the photos were done, I promptly finished the rest.
More Veggie Tots
Since making these broccoli tots, I’ve made other veggie tots!
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed finely chopped raw broccoli (see note)
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs (see note)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Add broccoli, breadcrumbs, cheese and egg into a large mixing bowl. Mix with a large spoon until everything is combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat mat. Take a small handful of broccoli mix (a little over 1 tbsp), and squeeze into the palm of your hand about 2-3 times to compact the shape and squeeze out excess liquid. Then use hands to shape into small cylinders, the size of tater tots (about 1 inch long). Place onto lined baking sheet. Repeat until all broccoli is used up
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Bottom of tots should be golden brown. Flip tots over and bake for another 8-10 minutes. Serve with ketchup or other dipping sauce.
- I recommend using a food processor to finely chop the broccoli. One head of broccoli will yield about 1 1/2 cups.
- If you use non-seasoned panko breadcrumbs, make sure to add Italian seasoning to your mix.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.