These baked crispy tots are like tater tots except they are made with butternut squash.
I love making homemade tots. Over the years I’ve made cauliflower tots, zucchini tots, spaghetti squash tots, broccoli tots, sweet potato tots and now butternut squash tots.
The nutty sweet flavor that comes out when the butternut squash is cooked makes these taste so good.
I also love how naturally orange they are. I’ll definitely be making these a lot this Fall!
Butternut Squash Tots
- 1 1/2 cups shredded raw butternut squash
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- dipping sauce of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add squash, panko and egg. Mix until everything is evenly combined.
- Scoop out 1 packed tbsp of squash mixture. Squeeze mixture tightly into the palm of your hand two to three times until it is very compact. Then shape into a cylinder. Try your best not to have any strands of shredded squash sticking out because any loose strands will cook too quickly in the oven. Place cylinder onto a prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining batter, spacing tots about 1 inch apart. You should have enough batter for about 21 tots.
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes. Flip tots over and bake another 5 minutes or until both sides are crispy. Serve with dipping sauce. I did a spicy aioli for mine.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.