These crispy zucchini tots are a great way to use up leftover zucchini. They can be baked or cooked in the air fryer. They make a great side dish or snack and are low carb and keto-friendly.
I love making vegetable tots. I previously made keto cauliflower tots and now I’m sharing a zucchini version.
I’ve tried a few different keto breadings so far to create a crispy coating. For these tots, I used pork rinds breadcrumbs. They turn crispy and golden brown when baked at high heat.
You can grind up your own pork rinds, but I find it easier to buy ones that have already been ground up.
I recommend using unseasoned pork rind breadcrumbs. Seasoned ones can end up being too salty and I like to control the seasoning going into these tots.
How to Make Keto Zucchini Tots
- First, the zucchini needs to be squeezed dry.
- Then, add in the parmesan, egg, coconut flour and Italian seasoning.
- Shape the zucchini batter into cylinders. Roll until the tots are lightly coated in pork rind breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the oven or cook in the air fryer at 400F until crispy.
Air Fried Versus Baked
Whether you bake or air fry, the tots will come out a beautiful golden brown and will be very crispy. I prefer the air fryer because it takes about half the time.
More Zucchini Side Dishes
Keto Zucchini Tots
- 2 (lightly packed) cups finely shredded zucchini (about 1 1/2 medium zucchini)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 5 tbsp unseasoned pork rind breadcrumbs
- If baking, preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a cheesecloth, wring dry zucchini in 4 batches. After unbundling the clumps of zucchini, you should be left with 1 1/2 cups (not packed) shredded zucchini.
- Add zucchini, coconut flour, Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese, egg into a medium bowl. Stir and mix until everything is evenly blended.
- Measure out 1 packed tablespoon of zucchini batter and squeeze between palm of hand once to compress it. I recommend doing this over the sink because some liquid will release out. Shape to resemble a cylinder tater tot shape. Place onto one of the prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining zucchini batter.
- In a small bowl, add pork rind breadcrumbs. Roll each tot in the breadcrumbs mixture a few times until the tots are lightly coated. I like to roll and then sprinkle some on top so that more of the crumbs stick. Place coated tots onto your other baking sheet, spacing them about 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake tots for about 20-25 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- If cooking in the air fryer, set air fryer to 400°F. Place tots in a single layer and cook about 8-10 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Do not leave out the coconut flour. It helps to absorb the excess liquid released by the zucchini. I don't recommend substituting with almond flour. I tested using almond flour but you end up having to use so much that the zucchini tots no longer taste like zucchini. I used Bob Red Mill's coconut flour.*
- I used this cheesecloth.* to wring dry the zucchini.
- I recommend using unseasoned pork rind crumbs, otherwise some brands may be too salty. I used Pork King Good unseasoned pork rind crumbs*.
- *Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.