This chocolate cake comes out moist and fluffy and is easy to make. The batter can be easily mixed in one bowl with a whisk, no mixer is needed. This cake is just four ingredients and doesn’t require eggs, butter or oil.
This is such an easy cake to whip up when you’re in need of a cake made from scratch but you are short on time or ingredients. It takes about five minutes to make the batter and thirty minutes to bake.
- Self-Rising Flour
- Cocoa Powder
Self-Rising Flour: This cake uses self-rising flour which already has baking powder and salt added to the flour. If you don’t have self-rising flour, you can easily make your own by mixing baking powder and salt with all purpose flour. The exact amounts are listed in the notes of the recipe card at the end of this post.
Milk: This cake uses whole milk. I don’t recommend using low fat because the cake does rely on the fat from the milk. To make it dairy-free, you can substitute with full fat almond milk or oat milk.
This cake comes out moist and fluffy and tastes very much like a traditional sheet cake. Because there is no oil or butter, the crumb is a little firmer, something you will often find with cakes made without butter or oil. If you want a more tender cake and don’t mind using oil, you can replace 1/3 cup of the milk with vegetable or canola oil.
How to Make 4 Ingredient Chocolate Cake
This is a very easy cake to make. The flour and cocoa powder are added and whisked together. Then the sugar and milk are mixed in. It takes less than five minutes to mix all the ingredients together. Then the batter is ready to go in the oven.
More Easy Cake Recipes
4 Ingredient Chocolate Cake
- 1 1/2 cups (187 g) self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup (52 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (195 g) granulated white sugar
- 1 1/3 cups (10.6 oz) whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 x 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour and cocoa powder. Whisk until evenly combined. Add in sugar and whisk until combined. Pour in milk and whisk until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake for about 30 minutes or until cake is done and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Whole milk can be substituted with full fat almond milk, soy milk or oat milk.
- The cake has a fluffy and moist texture but it does have a tighter crumb than your typical cake because it doesn't have butter or oil. If you want a richer cake with a more tender crumb, you can replace 1/3 cup of the milk with oil.
- To make your own self-rising flour, whisk together 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour + 2 1/4 tsp baking powder + 3/8 tsp salt.
- The cake is sweet but not super sweet. If you want a sweeter cake, I recommend adding frosting to the top.
- I topped this cake with chocolate ganache. To make ganache, heat 1/2 cup of milk on the stove until it is just about to simmer. Pour over 1 cup of chocolate chips. Whisk until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Pour ganache over cake and then place cake into fridge until ganache is set.
- Nutrition estimate is for the cake only and does not include the frosting.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.