A healthier baked version of calamari rings. These crunchy coated squid rings make a great appetizer or side dish.
I love ordering calamari at restaurants but it’s quite easy to make at home too. And it’s even easier and healthier if you don’t have to deal with frying them.
I started with a package of squid rings. They are already pre-cut so you don’t have to deal with cleaning and cutting squid.
These squid rings are coated in panko crumbs and baked until crunchy.
I served them with tomato sauce, which is my favorite way to eat them!
I’m slowly easing my husband back into healthy eating. This week we’re doing healthier swaps. Next week I’m bringing back low-carb cauliflower and zucchini recipes!
- 1 lb frozen squid rings
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs you don't have to use Italian seasoned but I enjoyed the added flavor; please do use panko-style for a crunchier finish
- tomato sauce for dipping
- 1/2 lemon optional; squeeze over calamari rings before serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Completely defrost your squid rings. In a small bowl, whisk the 2 eggs and set aside. In a separate bowl, add the flour. In a third bowl, add the panko bread crumbs.
- Lightly coat a squid ring in flour, tapping ring against side of the bowl when finished so that any excess flour comes off. Dip your squid ring in egg to coat and then also tap it a few times to get off any excess egg drippings (You want to be careful to not have too much egg on your squid ring because you don't want the bread crumbs to get too moist. If the excess egg drippings end up in the bread crumbs, it will cause them to clump up and then they won't stick to the squid.). Roll your squid ring a few times in the panko crumbs until fully coated. Place squid ring onto baking sheet. Repeat with remaining rings.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until outer coating turns a golden brown. Flip rings over and bake an additional 10 minutes or until both sides are crunchy. Serve warm with tomato sauce. If desired, squeeze fresh lemon juice over finished calamari right before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.