These churro ice cream sandwiches are made with homemade baked churros and are a fun summer treat. The baked churros are shaped into spiral cookies and stay crunchy and light even with the ice cream. The combination of sugary churros and ice cream is almost magical!
The Churro Borough in Los Angeles makes a churro ice cream sandwich that is really popular. I haven’t had a chance to try one myself but my brother recently made a homemade version and after I saw a picture of his creation, I decided to make my own homemade churro ice cream sandwiches and save myself a trip to LA!
Traditional churros are fried dough coated in sugar that is popular in Spain. The dough is made with a few simple ingredients, piped into the shape of a stick and deep fried. I’ve made Churros con Chocolate which is how churros are enjoyed in Spain. For these ice cream sandwiches, I decided to make baked churros, which are a lot easier to make and a little bit healthier.
How to Make Baked Churros
This recipe yields ten churro cookies which are enough to make five ice cream sandwiches.
The first step in making the dough is to bring water and butter to a boil on the stove. To that, you add flour and stir it all together until it forms a smooth dough ball. Then you add the eggs and once combined you can transfer the dough to a piping bag.
Since I planned to use the churros for ice cream sandwiches, I piped the dough into spiral shapes onto a baking sheet. I piped my dough directly out of the piping bag without a tip, but you could use a star tip which would give the churro grooves that are similar to a traditional churro.
Once the churro cookies are piped onto the baking sheet, bake them for about 20 to 25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
While they are still warm, coat the churro cookies in sugar. The easiest way to do this is to place the sugar in a releasable bag, place the cookies inside and toss them in the sugar until they are evenly coated. You definitely want to coat the cookies in sugar otherwise your cookies won’t be sweet since there’s no sugar in the dough.
For best results, I don’t recommend making the cookies too far in advance because they do tend to lose some of their crunchiness.
How to Assemble the Ice Cream Sandwiches
You can use whatever is your favorite ice cream for these treats. It helps if the ice cream is softened a bit to make it easier to scoop and spread on the cookies. Serve the ice cream sandwiches right away before the ice cream melts!
I really loved how these baked churro ice cream sandwiches came out and I can’t wait to make them for a party. The hardest part is not getting that sugar coating everywhere when you eat them!
Be sure to check out my Churro Ice Cream Bowls which are another baked churro recipe that’s a fun dessert!
Baked Churro Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- ice cream
- In a medium saucepan, add water, butter, and salt. Bring to a boil and stir until butter is completed melted. Turn off heat and add in flour. Stir until all flour is incorporated and becomes a smooth dough ball. Add in eggs and stir into dough. Scoop dough into a pastry piping bag or a freezer Ziploc bag.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 425F. Snip a 1/2 inch off hole on the bottom of your bag and pipe spiral cookies on parchment paper, spacing about 2 inches apart. You can also pipe with a star tip to get the grooves of classic churros. Bake for 20-25 minutes until churros turn golden brown and are crispy. (If you want, this same recipe works for frying as well.)
- When churros are finished, add 1/4 cup sugar to a plastic Ziploc bag. Place a churro cookie inside and move around until it is completely covered in sugar. Remove and repeat until all churros are coated in sugar. Please do not skip the sugar step. Your churros will be tasteless without the sugar and won't taste like churros. The baked churros are best consumed while still warm as they will loose some of their crunch later.
- To assemble sandwiches, add 2 scoops of your favorite ice cream onto the back of one churro cookie. Press another churro cookie on top. Eat immediately.
- Adapted from recipe found on Food Network, provided by Chocolateria San Gines
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.