Crunchy baked chicken pieces are coated in a honey garlic sauce. A perfect weeknight meal.
I’m currently obsessed with baking chicken in panko crumbs after making my baked orange chicken. The chicken comes out so crunchy that I don’t miss the deep frying at all. My newest recipe is this honey garlic chicken and it has the same crispy coating and is coated in a delicious honey garlic sauce.
How to Make Crispy Breaded Chicken
The key to getting the crunchy breadcrumb coating is to use panko breadcrumbs. One thing I’ve learned is that not all panko bread crumbs are the same. I’ve been testing out various brands and I can’t believe the difference. Some brands make the crumbs way too big and they don’t coat well and don’t bake evenly, looking pale and unappetizing.
My current favorite brand is Kikkoman. The panko bread crumbs are very fine, so they cook and brown evenly.
All you do is first coat the chicken pieces in egg and then roll them in the panko. Then you just bake the chicken until it’s cooked through and the coating is browned and crispy.
Honey Garlic Sauce
While the chicken is baking you can make the sauce. All you do is combine:
- Minced garlic
- Onion powder
- Water and cornstarch
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Sriracha sauce
Combine all of the ingredients, except for the cornstarch and water, in a saucepan and bring it to a low boil. Add the cornstarch mixture, which will thicken the sauce.
Once the chicken is down you can pour the sauce over the top just before serving. I like to garnish the honey garlic chicken with some sesame seeds and sliced scallions.
I really love this recipe. The chicken pieces are so light and crunchy and they are so delicious with the sauce. The honey garlic sauce has the perfect balance of sweet and salty and you can really taste the garlic.
You should definitely try this honey garlic chicken recipe if you love crunchy chicken but don’t want to deep-fry. It’s definitely healthier and a lot easier, too.
More Chicken Recipes
- Honey Garlic Shrimp
- Healthier Honey Sesame Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Healthier Honey Sriracha Chicken
Baked Honey Garlic Chicken
- 1/2 lb boneless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (see note)
- 1 extra large egg whisked
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds optional, for garnish
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped scallions optional, for garnish
for the sauce
- 6 tbsp honey
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup water + 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Dip chicken pieces in egg and then roll in bread crumbs until fully coated and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Bake the chicken for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken coating is a dark golden brown and is crunchy.
- While chicken is cooking, make the sauce on the stove. Add all sauce ingredients except the 1/2 tbsp cornstarch + 1/4 cup water. Bring to a low boil. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in water, then add to the mixture.
- Stir until sauce boils again and cook until sauce thickens. Pour sauce on chicken right before serving. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions if desired.
- I recommend using Kikkoman breadcrumbs as they brown evenly, even at the bottom.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.