Blueberry cobbler with cake mix is a quick and easy cobbler that is made with a fresh fruit filling. This is a dump cake which means no mixing bowls or complicated steps – you can dump all of the ingredients in the baking pan and bake it for a really easy dessert for potlucks, BBQs, and parties.
This blueberry cobbler dump cake is a sweet and easy dessert to make for any occasion. It’s also a little better for you than a traditional dump cake as it doesn’t use a canned filling.
Dump cakes don’t have the most appealing name, but they sure are easy to make. Most dump cakes start with cake mix, canned pie filling, and butter. Dump all the ingredients into a pan, bake, and out comes this dessert that’s similar to a fruit cobbler. I have to confess, while I’ve made them several times, I was always hesitant to put up such a recipe.
Easy Dump Cake with Fresh Fruit Filling
For this recipe though, I swapped out the canned pie filling for a fresh blueberry pie filling. I basically created my own blueberry pie filling that is less sugary and without any preservatives.
The preparation is nearly the same, except you have to dump in 2 more ingredients. But you still don’t need to mix anything beforehand. The end result is something a little lighter for summer.
- Yellow cake mix
- Fresh blueberries
- Granulated sugar
- Sliced butter
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13” baking pan.
Place three cups of blueberries in an even layer in a greased 9×13” pan. Sprinkle the cornstarch over the top of the berries and then sprinkle the sugar over the top.
Sprinkle the cake mix over the top in an even layer and then place the butter slices on top. They should be spaced evenly apart. Spread the rest of the blueberries on top of the cake.
Bake the cobbler for 45-55 minutes at 350°F or until the cake is cooked through. Let it cool for about 30 minutes before slicing.
You can make this blueberry cobbler a day in advance. I like it for parties because it’s so easy to make and easy to transport. It’s delicious plain or you can serve slices with vanilla ice cream.
If you’ve never had a dump cake, they are awfully sweet. Sometimes I make mine with from-scratch cake mixes so I can control the sugar level, but that takes a little more preparation. Cake mix works when you’re in a pinch. It really is the perfect dessert for a party, potluck, and more.
More Recipes with Cake Mix
- Easy Cake Mix Cakes Four Ways
- Cake Mix Lava Mug Cake
- Cake Mix Waffles
- Chewy Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
Blueberry Cobbler Dump Cake
- 1 (15.25-oz) box of yellow cake mix (see note)
- 4 cups of fresh blueberries
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar (see note)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Add 3 cups of blueberries to the pan, spreading evenly across. Sprinkle cornstarch evenly across. Sprinkle sugar evenly across.
- Sprinkle cake mix on top of blueberries, trying to spread evenly across. Spread butter chunks evenly on top. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of blueberries on top.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until cake mix is golden brown and no raw cake mix remains. Let cake cool for about 30 minutes before serving and eating.
- You will only use the dry cake mix itself. Try to stay away from the bigger boxes of cake mix otherwise you may need more filling so all your cake mix cooks.
- You can also use a from-scratch cake mix recipe.
- If you prefer your desserts less sweet, you can also reduce the amount of cake mix to 1/2 or 2/3 if you don't mind having leftover cake mix.
- You can reduce the amount of sugar if you have really sweet berries.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.