- 2 egg whites at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks at room temperature
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup bread flour sifted
- 1 tbsp honey thinned with 1 tbsp hot water
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a 7x3 loaf pan with aluminum foil. Line the foil with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until foamy, about 30 seconds or so. Add the sugar to the eggs in 2 to 3 batches and beat them together until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes.
- Adjust the mixer speed to low and add the egg yolks one at a time until well combined. Add the flour and beat until just combined. Add the honey mixture and beat for one minute.
- Strain the batter through a fine mesh sieve into the baking pan. You may need to use a spatula to press the batter through the sieve. Rap the pan on the counter to remove air bubbles in the batter and then smooth the top of the batter. There should be no bubbles on the surface of the batter.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes or until the top is browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven and drop it, from a distance of about one foot, onto the counter. This will help keep the cake from shrinking as it cools.
- Cool the cake in the pan and once it’s cool enough to handle, remove it from the pan. Remove the parchment and wrap it in a new piece of parchment. Wrap it in plastic wrap and store the cake at room temperature overnight. This will allow the flavor of the cake to develop fully.
- To serve, first remove the browned edges of the cake from the sides (leave the top and bottom with the crust) with a sharp knife. Use a serrated knife to slice the cake into slices.
Recipe source: Roti & Rice