A low carb, gluten free and keto friendly version of grilled cheese sandwiches using cauliflower bread. Satisfy your cravings for comforting grilled cheese with this tasty sandwich that looks a lot like regular grilled cheese.
You knew this was coming right? After sharing my cauliflower bread recipe, I had to make grilled cheese sandwiches with it.
I previously shared a version of cauliflower grilled cheese called cauliflower crusted grilled cheese, which uses cauliflower pizza crust as the bread slices. It’s still one of my favorites. Both versions taste good, but are definitely different. The cauliflower crust bread version is thinner, slightly chewier, cheesier and more like a pizza crust. This cauliflower bread is soft and airy, with a subtle cauliflower flavor and it looks like regular white bread.
The bread is much lighter than your typical bread because there are whipped egg whites folded into the batter. It’s similar to texture as cloud bread, but slightly more durable and sturdy.
While the bread resembles typical sandwich bread, it does not rise as high as regular bread. Therefore, these sandwiches are smaller in size. Each one is about the size of half of a typical grilled cheese sandwich.
Once toasted on the stove, these looked just like regular grilled cheese and they satisfied my cravings for grilled cheese as well.
To get more tips on how to make the cauliflower bread itself, please refer back to my cauliflower bread post.
You might like my buttermilk fried cauliflower, too!
Cauliflower Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 2 slices cauliflower bread
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Warm a nonstick skillet over the stove. Lightly toast both sides of your bread slices.
- Sprinkle one bread slice generously with shredded cheese. Cover the cheese with the other bread slice. Place a small lid (one that is smaller than your skillet and just fits over the bread) on top to weigh down the bread and to increase the heat surrounding the bread. Cook and flip a few times until cheese is melted and both sides of the sandwich is evenly toasted.
- The cauliflower bread recipe and detailed tips on how to make it can be found here.
- Because these breads are a little delicate, it’s best to use a nonstick skillet so that they do not stick to the pan at all, which can cause them to break apart.
- The bread has a high fat content so it doesn’t need to be buttered before toasting/grilling.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.