- 5 cups packed riced raw cauliflower to rice the cauliflower, run it through a food processor until it becomes coarse crumbs about half the size of a grain of rice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced raw white onions
- 1 lb low fat ground beef
- 13 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Prepare the Cauliflower
Steam Method: You can briefly steam the cauliflower until it's cooked, and then wring the cauliflower dry in small batches, with the help of a cheesecloth or similar towel or cloth.
Microwave Method: Instead of steaming, you can cook the cauliflower in the microwave in intervals until it dries out. For this method, cook cauliflower in microwave for about 2 minutes in a very large microwave-safe bowl. You want the bowl to be very large so you can spread out the cauliflower. Once cooked, place it back into the microwave and cook it in 2-minute intervals. After every 2 minutes, pause, stir and mix so the cauliflower evenly heats, and then put it back in the microwave again. Stopping every 2 minutes will also prevent any cauliflower from burning. Continue this process until the cauliflower becomes dry and clumpy. It will take approximately 16 minutes to cook the cauliflower this way, depending on the type of microwave you have.
Once cauliflower is dried out, place into a bowl and allow to cool for a few minutes. Then add in eggs. Stir and mix until everything is completely combined.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. (In the photos above, I used a Silpat mat, but I actually found it easier to remove the cauliflower with parchment paper.) Pour cauliflower batter onto parchment paper and use a spatula to spread out until it forms a 9.5 x 11 inch rectangle that is approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Cook cauliflower noodles in oven for about 18-20 minutes or until top is golden brown and dry to the touch. Allow cauliflower noodles to cool. Slice cauliflower noodles into three strips that are approximately 9 inches by 3.5 inches. Use a thin-edged spatula (like a cookie spatula), to carefully get under the cauliflower noodles and help release them from the parchment paper.
Make the Lasagna
In a large frying pan, add olive oil and bring the pan to medium heat on the stove. Once oil is hot, add in onions and cook until tender. Add in ground beef and cook until meat is done. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and herb seasoning. Add salt and pepper if needed.
Preheat oven to 375F. In a 9 x5 inch loaf pan, add a thin layer of ground beef sauce. Layer one of the cauliflower noodles on top. Add a thicker layer of ground beef sauce. Sprinkle 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese across ground beef. Add the second cauliflower noodle. Repeat with ground beef and cheese. Layer the final cauliflower noodle. Add another thin layer of ground beef. Add remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
Place lasagna into the oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and melted. Garnish with fresh basil if desired. Slice and serve while warm.