Zucchini Noodles Mac & Cheese
Zucchini Noodles “Mac & Cheese” is zucchini noodles with cheese sauce, a healthier, low carb version of macaroni and cheese, replacing macaroni pasta with zucchini noodles.
December is always a tricky month to stay on a healthy eating course. I try to indulge a little more this time of year, but still incorporate healthier options whenever possible. Like this lighter low carb version of mac and cheese.
How to Make the Cheese Sauce
- The cheese sauce is the same creamy cheese sauce I would use if I was making macaroni and cheese, so it helps to satisfy any mac and cheese cravings.
- I chose to use classic cheddar cheese but you can also use parmesan cheese.
- First, you need to create a roux with butter and a touch of flour. This is needed to thicken your cheese sauce.
- For those following a strict diet, all purpose flour is sometimes not permitted in a low carb diet. This recipe uses a very small amount, so may be allowed, depending on the type of diet you are following.
- My final secret to an extra creamy sauce is heavy cream. Adding it to the sauce instead of milk makes the sauce extra rich, creamy and smooth.
How to Make Zucchini Noodles
- To create zucchini noodles, use a spiralizer. There are many options available. If you have an attachment for your mixer or food processor that spiralizers, those are the easiest and fastest ways to spiralize. But I also own a handheld one and a manual vegetable slicer.*
- The zucchini noodles are cooked with just a little olive oil and salt.
- After the zucchini is cooked, you will need to drain them as they release a lot of water. You can also pat dry them as well.
Your final step is to toss the zucchini noodles in the hot cheese sauce and until the noodles are evenly coated. This dish is best eaten warm and right away. While you can reheat it, keep in mind the zucchini will release more water when they reheat which could cause your sauce to be watery.
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini spiralized
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- salt to taste
Add olive oil to a large skillet and bring to medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add in zucchini noodles. Cook until water releases and zucchini are just cooked (tender but still crisp). Turn off heat. Drain zucchini noodles and pat dry.
In a medium saucepan, add butter. Bring saucepan to low heat until butter is melted. Add in flour and whisk until smooth roux forms.
Add in heavy cream, cheese, mustard and chili powder. Bring saucepan to medium heat. Whisk and stir until cheese is completely melted and sauce is thick and smooth. Taste and add salt if needed.
Add zucchini noodles to cheese sauce. Toss until zucchini is evenly coated in sauce. Serve immediately.
- For this recipe I used this spiralizer*.
- I also own and recommend this handheld one.*
- *Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have. All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Zucchini Noodles Mac & Cheese
Amount Per Serving (0.5 of recipe)
Calories 594 Calories from Fat 486
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 30g188%
Vitamin A 2110IU42%
Vitamin C 35.1mg43%
Net Carbs 10g20%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.