Crunchy, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth shortbread cookies studded with chocolate chips. This is an easy cookie recipe that is also one of my favorites. The cookies keep well making them perfect for gifting too.
It’s my favorite time of year: cookie season! And today I’m sharing with you one of my favorite cookie recipes. These cookies may look very basic, but they are so darn good. The exterior of the cookie is crunchy and then the buttery shortbread just melts in your mouth. They go well especially well with a cup of coffee or tea.
- Softened unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Mini chocolate chips
I prefer to use mini chocolate chips for this recipe because they aren’t as bulky when you mix them into the dough. It makes it easier to slice the cookies.
How to make Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- The dough is made in a stand mixer. It is then rolled out between two sheets of parchment paper and chilled in the fridge until firm.
- You must chill the dough before attempting to cut it. When the dough is firm, it is sliced into 1 1/2 inch squares.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet and bake about 18-20 minutes or until edges turn a light golden brown.
- Let cookies cool before eating. Cookies should be stored in an airtight container. Cookies can keep for several days at room temperature.
I think these are great for gifting because they keep well for several days in an airtight container. If you want to browse all of my favorite cookies be sure to check out my Christmas Cookies post or try the ones listed below:
- Chocolate Shortbread
- Nutella Shortbread Cookies
- Double Chocolate Shortbread
- Keto Shortbread Cookies
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- 8 oz unsalted butter room temperature
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until the mixture is very smooth.
- Mix in vanilla until it is completely incorporated.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour, mixing just until it disappears into the dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Gather dough and place in between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll the dough into a rectangle shape about 1/4 inch thick.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours.
- After dough is firm, preheat the oven to 325°F. Cut the dough into 1 1/2-inch squares and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing cookies 3/4 inch apart.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until they turn golden brown around the edges.
- Recipe adapted from Use Real Butter
- Cookies should be stored in airtight container at room temperature.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.