With the weather cooling down, casseroles have been on my mind. Today, I’m sharing a recipe for a delicious chicken rice casserole. This post is sponsored by RiceSelect and Blogher.I made this casserole as part of RiceSelect’s “Rethink Rice” program. The goal is to redefine rice by creating dishes where rice is the hero of the dish rather than just a plain side or something to lay your entree on. Coming from an Asian background, rice has definitely been more than just a side and has been an integral part of many of my favorite dishes, like sushi, fried rice, rice pudding and risotto.
For this campaign, I was given RiceSelect’s Arborio Blend™ with Mushrooms to try. I love, love mushrooms, so I was really excited to try this out. As an added bonus, it’s also gluten-free! All RiceSelect products are grown, milled, and packaged in the USA and are produced from non-GMO proprietary seed. There is also an Arborio Blend™ with Jalapeño that I will need to try on a later date.
The rice blend has pieces of dried mushrooms mixed in. It has an earthy taste, with a touch of garlic and onions.
After tasting the rice, my immediate thought was to make a homey rice casserole. I wanted to add chicken because chicken goes so well in casseroles. And then I began to think what would pair well with chicken and mushrooms. My next thought was green beans. And before I knew it, my casserole was turning out a lot like an upgraded version of a green bean casserole. To boost the mushroom flavor, I added some cream of mushroom soup. And since this was looking so much like a popular Thanksgiving green bean casserole, I also went ahead and topped it with cheddar cheese and crunchy fried onions.
I was really pleased with how this turned out, and so was Mr. K. The dish had a warm, comforting appeal, and I imagine we’ll be making it again for future dinners this Fall and Winter.
The dish is relatively stress-free, and you can make a large batch and have leftovers for future nights too. If you like this recipe, you might like my Enchilada Rice Casserole, too.
Chicken Rice Casserole
- 1 lb chicken breast cubed
- 1 (10-oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup chopped green beans
- 1 cup Arborio Blend™ with Mushrooms
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fried onions
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley optional, for garnish
- In a large pot, add rice and water and turn stove temperature to high until water begins to boil. Lower temperature and cook until rice is done and most of water has evaporated, stirring occasionally so rice does not stick to bottom, about 15-20 minutes. In a separate pan, sauté chicken and green beans until just done.
- Add chicken, beans, and mushroom soup into rice, stirring until mixed.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Add rice mixture into a large casserole dish, spreading evenly across. Sprinkle surface with cheddar cheese. Cook for 15-20 minutes until everything is heated and bubbling. Top with fried onions and parsley (if using) before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.