These light-as-air Chinese sponge cakes taste just like the ones sold at Chinese bakeries. I’m sharing my favorite recipe so you can make them at home, too!
I love Chinese sponge cakes. They are lightly sweet, soft, and fluffy. For a long time, I had to visit a Chinese bakery if I wanted sponge cakes. A few weeks ago, I made a batch of mini sponge cakes and they tasted great, but they didn’t rise as much as I wanted them to.
So, after several trials and research, I finally was able to make sponge cakes that taste just like the ones sold at Chinese bakeries.
Instead of one large cake, this recipe makes individual-sized sponge cakes and, unlike other Chinese baked goods I’ve made, like Honey Castella Cake, these little cakes only have a few ingredients and aren’t hard to make if you follow the steps.
How to Make the Batter
- You will need one bowl to combine one whole egg with three egg yolks plus some oil. I beat this mixture for about 10 minutes to ensure it’s well combined.
- The cakes get their light texture from cake flour, which needs to be sifted into the egg yolk and oil mixture. I don’t recommend substituting all-purpose flour because your cakes won’t have the right texture.
- In a separate bowl, you will beat three egg whites until they turn frothy. Add the sugar and salt and whip them together until the egg whites thicken enough to hold stiff peaks. I beat my egg whites for 10 minutes and this made a big difference in how much the cakes rose when I baked them.
- Carefully fold the stiff egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. It’s a good idea to do this in batches (I did it in three). Be very gentle because you don’t want to deflate the egg whites.
How to Bake the Sponge Cakes
- I like to line my muffin pan with paper liners and then I pour the batter into them. Fill the paper liners approximately 80% full.
- Bake the cakes at 300°F for about 18 to 20 minutes.
These sponge cakes bake up about the size of over-sized muffins and they taste just like the ones I buy at the bakery. Now, I don’t have to buy them!
Mini Sponge Cakes
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 50 g corn oil
- 50 g cake flour
- 3 egg whites
- 50 g castor sugar
- 1 dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, the whole egg, and oil together until well mixed, about 10 minutes.
- Sift in the flour and mix well.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are frothy. Add the sugar and salt and beat until stiff peaks.
- Fold in the egg white mixture to egg yolk mixture in 3 additions and mix until well combined. Scoop the batter into paper cups 80% full. Bake the cakes for 18 to 20 minutes.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.