- 1 1/2 cups ground hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts optional garnish
Process ground hazelnuts, confectioners sugar, light brown sugar, and cocoa powder in a food processor for about 20 seconds.
Add flour and salt, pulse for an additional 5 seconds to combine. Scrape down sides if necessary. Add the butter pieces over the dry ingredients and pulse until dough resembles damp sand for about 18 seconds.
- While machine is running add the egg yolk and process until the dough comes together and forms a ball, approximately 20 seconds.
Cut two sheets of parchment paper. Divide dough in half, form two 4-inch thick logs and wrap each with a sheet, and place in refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat's.
Unwrap dough logs, with a sharp knife slice 1/4 inch thick cookies. Place cookies on baking sheets spaced about 3/4 inches apart. Press an unsalted roasted hazelnut in the center of each cookie if desired.
Bake for about 17 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes then transfer to a wire rack until they have cooled completely.
Recipe adapted from Daydreamer Desserts