When I saw this recipe for chocolate mousse using silken tofu instead of heavy cream from And then I do the dishes, I couldn’t believe it. Silken tofu as a substitute for heavy cream? I was doubtful but decided to try out the recipe. It was so simple with just three ingredients. And so much healthier!
I absolutely loved how the mousse came out. It was super rich and chocolatey. And you couldn’t tell that there was tofu inside. Baby Bro thought it was “too much chocolate.” I guess if you don’t really like chocolate you can try to lighten it up and use milk chocolate or adding more tofu. I personally like my mouse to be super thick and super rich. I don’t like it when it’s more like a pudding because then I feel like I’m eating pudding.
The mousse tastes great with some whipped cream. I have to confess, I cheated and used a can of whipped cream instead of making my own. I regret doing it. The canned whip cream got really watery and just didn’t taste as good as homemade whipped cream.
You might like my 2 ingredient Nutella mousse, too!
Chocolate Mousse with Silken Tofu
- 8 oz silken tofu one package is usually more than 8 oz, so I had to measure it out
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler and set aside. If you don't have a double boiler, you can melt chocolate in microwave. I stick mine in one minute at a time, then take it out and stir, until it is completely melted.
- Put tofu in food processor and puree until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add chocolate and vanilla extract into the tofu and blend again.
- Put the chocolate mousse into small glasses or ramekins (I put mine in ramekins) and smooth out the top of the mousse. Put in the refrigerator to set for several hours.
- Serve chilled with whipped cream, berries or ice cream.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.