These chicken pieces are coated in a panko bread crumb and Parmesan cheese mix and baked until crunchy. They are a tasty bite, especially when dipped into a side of marinara sauce.
I have been obsessed with baking panko breadcrumb coated chicken. I love how crispy the chicken turns out without having to fry it. Inspired by Gimme Some Oven’s Parmesan Baked Chicken Nuggets, I decided to mix some Parmesan into my panko breading to create these crunchy baked Parmesan chicken bites.
I’ve discussed this before, but want to mention again, that I really prefer to use Kikkoman brand of panko breadcrumbs. I like the finer texture and find that they also brown more evenly in the oven.
Because the panko bread crumbs were mixed with finely ground cheese, the coating didn’t brown quite as evenly as I would have liked, but they still tasted really good. I especially liked how they tasted once dipped in marinara sauce because it reminded me of the classic baked Parmesan chicken dish.
If you like this recipe you might like my Honey Mustard Pretzel Chicken Bites, too.
Crunchy Baked Parmesan Chicken Bites
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch pieces (see note)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (see note)
- 1 cup finely ground Parmesan cheese (see note)
- 1 extra large egg whisked
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Add panko and cheese to a large bowl and then mix together until thoroughly combined.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg and then roll in breadcrumb mixture until fully coated and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until chicken coating is a dark golden brown and crunchy. Serve with marinara sauce.
- I like chicken thighs for this recipe because they have a lot of flavor, but you can also use chicken breasts if that's what you have on hand.
- I like to use Kikkoman brand panko breadcrumbs because they brown evenly. I shared a photo of the packaging in the blog post.
- I used shredded Parmesan cheese and put it through a food processor until the crumbs were the same size as the panko breadcrumbs.
- The nutrition estimate does not include the marinara dipping sauce.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.