This isn’t quite the same as some of the other mug cakes I’ve made in the past. I didn’t create a recipe that can be made into one single serving, but it’s still delicious and easy and you can always store the leftover batter for later.
I was making a batch of our favorite baked donuts and I had some leftover batter and I decided to stick it in a mug and see if it would turn out okay. And it did! A minute and half later I was treated to a fluffy donut mug cake. Much quicker than making mini donuts in the oven.
The donut taste is similar to cake donuts and comes from the mini donut muffin recipe that’s been widely shared on the internet.
Even though this doesn’t make just one single serving, you can refrigerate the rest of the batter for later. Or you can make a few mug cakes rather than having to take the time to make mini donuts or mini donuts in the oven. If you’re impatient like me, being able to eat the donut cake in one minute rather than 10-15 is a definite plus.
I wasn’t quite sure how to decorate them so I drizzled chocolate ganache, which is what I use for my mini donuts. Now I kind of wish I added some sprinkles, especially when I added the little mini donut top hat.
Donut Mug Cakes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg until combined. Add in flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Then mix in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract. Mix until batter is smooth.
- Fill an oversized mug about 1/2 full with batter. Cook in microwave for about 1 minute and 30 seconds. Careful not to overcook or cake will become hard. If cake is puffy and toothpick inserted comes out clean, then it is done. You can repeat with remaining batter or store batter in fridge for later use.
- While donut mug cakes are cooling make the ganache. Heat heavy cream microwaveable glass cup for about 40 seconds in microwave. Pour heavy cream into bowl of chopped chocolate. Stir and mix until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Let ganache cool for a few minutes before drizzling over donut mug cakes.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.