I wasn’t sure what to call these. They are similar to twice baked potatoes except that the entire potato isn’t baked a second time. Instead, creamy sour cream mashed potatoes with bacon and chives are stuffed into the roasted potato skins. I didn’t want to bake the whole thing a second time once they were stuffed because I wanted the purple color to be vibrant and not browned by the oven.
I love working with blue potatoes. The purple/blue color is so pretty. I’ve made some deviled potatoes in the past and that is what inspired my idea for these mashed potatoes stuffed in potatoes.
These would make a wonderful appetizer. The mashed potatoes are so very creamy thanks to the addition of sour cream. The bacon bits and chives give it some texture and flavor. The roasted potato skins taste great on their own but even better with the creamy mashed potatoes stuffed inside.
Double Stuffed Potatoes
- 14 small potatoes half blue, half red
- 1/2 cup sour cream divided in half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream divided in half
- 6 strips of bacon cooked and crumbled (divided in half)
- 1/4 cup chives chopped (divided in half)
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut potatoes in half, lengthwise. Bake potatoes until insides are soft. (Around 30-40 minutes).
- Let potatoes cool. Once they have cooled enough to touch, scoop out all the insides of the blue potato and put into one bowl. You want to leave enough around the rim of the potato skin so that the potato skin doesn't fall apart.
- Scoop out the insides of your red potatoes and place in a separate bowl. For each bowl of potatoes, put in 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup heavy cream, and mash together with a potato masher or potato ricer. Once potatoes are mashed add in 3 strips of cooked, crumbled up bacon to each bowl and also 1/8 cup of chives to each bowl and mix. Heat up the mashed potatoes either on stove or in microwave if they have cooled.
- Brush back of potato skins with olive oil. Roast the potato skins 400°F for about 10-15 minutes until skins turn slightly crispy. Remove potato skins from oven. Scoop in the mashed potatoes.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.