These fajita bowls are a healthier, low carb and simple to make with lean ground beef and vegetables flavored with homemade fajita seasoning. Serve them with cauliflower rice for an easy dinner or you can make them ahead for meal prep.
The fajita bowls are one of my favorite meal prep recipes. Instead of tortillas the seasoned beef and peppers are served over cauliflower rice for an easy meal.
I had this idea marinating in my head for a while. Originally, I was just going to make fajitas the traditional way and serve them over a bed of cauliflower rice. But after thinking it over some more, I really wanted to create a rice bowl recipe rather than just food served over rice.
In my mind, a rice bowl is something you can easily dig your spoon into and get the rice, meat, and veggies altogether in one bite.
So rather than prepping steak or chicken breast, I chose to use lean ground beef. You can also substitute with ground chicken or turkey. But we love steak fajitas (especially these sheet pan steak fajitas) so I used beef. I also chopped the vegetables to be bite-sized, rather than thin strips.
These bowls came out so tasty – I love the fresh flavors from the peppers. They are a lot less work than traditional fajitas and great if you enjoy making meal prep recipes.
- Minced garlic
- Ground beef – or you can use ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Minced yellow onion
- Bell peppers cut into bite-sized pieces – we used red, yellow, green, and orange.
- Fajita seasoning – I share my homemade recipe in the recipe card, or you can use store-bought seasoning.
- Cooked cauliflower rice
- Lime wedges and chopped cilantro for garnish.
How to Make Fajita Bowls
Brown the beef with the garlic in a skillet on the stove. When it’s almost cooked, add the seasoning and peppers. Stir and cook the mixture until the beef is cooked through and the peppers are tender.
Serve the ground beef fajitas on top of the cauliflower rice along with the garnishes.
Meat: You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts and make chicken fajita bowls. Or try steak or steak. I think the bowls work best with bite-sized meat, so you will want to slice them so they are easy to eat. Depending on the meat you choose the cooking time will vary.
Veggies: Bell peppers are key to fajitas but you could add some diced jalapeno peppers if you want some heat. Red, yellow, or white onion work well, too.
Garnishes: You can add sour cream, guacamole or sliced avocado, salsa, and cheese if you want to make your fajita bowls more filling.
Rice: I like cauliflower rice because it’s low carb but you can use cooked white or brown rice. Cilantro lime rice would work great, too.
Make It a Salad: Instead of serving the meat and veggies over rice, you can toss them with chopped romaine lettuce to make a fajita salad instead. Just add your favorite dressing!
- I use these Meal Prep Containers.*
- You can substitute ground beef for ground chicken or turkey.
- I buy packaged cauliflower rice and I usually use the frozen Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value brand. You can also make your own cauliflower rice by pulsing cauliflower florets in a food processor.
- You should store lime and cilantro separately if you are planning on storing these meals for meal prep. Add the lime and cilantro after you have re-heated your food.
- These meals can be stored in the fridge or freezer.
My favorite meal prep recipe from last year was my Taco Bowls with Cauliflower Rice. But this fajita version is my new favorite.
If you want more meal prep ideas be sure to check out my:
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Recipe now updated with video! You can also find all my recipe videos on my youtube channel.
Fajita Bowls with Cauliflower Rice Meal Prep
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb lean ground beef you can substitute with ground turkey or chicken
- 1/2 a small yellow onion minced
- 1 red bell pepper cut into bite-sized squares
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into bite-sized squares
- 1 green bell pepper cut into bite-sized squares
- 1 orange bell pepper cut into bite-sized squares
- 1 lime sliced into 4 wedges (for garnish, optional)
- handful of chopped fresh cilantro for garnish, optional
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups raw cauliflower rice
- salt as needed
- In a small bowl, add fajita seasoning ingredients. Mix with a small whisk and set aside.
- In a large skillet add garlic, ground beef and onion. Bring pan to medium high heat. Stir and cook, crumbling the beef as you cook. When beef is almost finished, add in fajita seasoning and bell peppers. Stir while cooking so that all the ingredients are evenly coated in seasoning. Cook until peppers are tender, onions are translucent, and beef is fully cooked. Remove from heat.
- In a separate skillet, prepare the cauliflower rice. Add in oil and bring to medium high heat. Add in cauliflower rice and cook until cauliflower is tender. Season with salt as needed.
- When rice and beef have cooled, you can prepare your meal prep containers.* Divide the cauliflower rice evenly across four containers. Then add ground beef fajitas mixture over rice, dividing evenly. Store lime and cilantro in a separate container or bag. Store in fridge or freezer. When ready to eat, re-heat food. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Squeeze fresh lime juice over food.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.