- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 8 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tsp water
- Write fortunes on pieces of paper that are 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg white, vanilla extract, almond extract, and vegetable oil until frothy, but not stiff.
- Sift the flour, cornstarch, and sugar into a separate bowl. Stir the water into the flour mixture.
- Add the flour into the egg white mixture and stir until you have a smooth batter. The batter should not be runny, but should drop easily off a wooden spoon.
- Place level tablespoons of batter onto the cookie sheet, spacing them at least 3 inches apart. Gently use the back of the back of a spoon to make circular motions on the surface of the batter to form circles with about 3.5” diameters.
- Bake about 14-15 minutes until the outer 1/2-inch of each cookie turns golden brown and they are easy to remove from the baking sheet with a spatula.
- Working quickly, remove the cookie with a spatula and flip it over in your hand. Place a fortune in the middle of a cookie. To form the fortune cookie shape, fold the cookie in half, then gently pull the edges downward over the rim of a glass, wooden spoon or the edge of a muffin tin. Place the finished cookie in a muffin tin so that it keeps its shape while it cools. Continue with the rest of the cookies. View here for good step by step photos.
Recipe slightly adapted from a recipe found on Ceramic Canvas