If you like boxed macaroni and cheese but want to make it a little lighter you will love this two-ingredient recipe. You don’t need all the butter and milk – just some cottage cheese! Trust me, it’s so good.
What is it about boxed macaroni and cheese? No matter how many gourmet, grown-up macaroni and cheeses I’ve eaten, cooked, and enjoyed, I still like the boxed kind too. I don’t think I’ll ever outgrow this stuff.
I’ve had some cottage cheese sitting in my fridge I’ve been trying to get rid of, so I went searching for recipes when I came across a healthier boxed macaroni and cheese on A Duck’s Oven. The recipe uses cottage cheese as a substitute for the margarine and milk.
With the substitution, you eliminate 304 calories and 44.4 grams of fat from the box.
Some Notes about this Recipe
- Boil the pasta and then, once it’s soft, add the cottage cheese and the cheese mix. Stir until the powder has dissolved.
- It would be super creamy – the cottage cheese doesn’t completely break down into a creamy sauce, so there are some small lumps.
- The taste is definitely lighter than the original, but it still tastes good. Even though it’s not the prettiest to look at the fact that it’s so much lighter makes up for it.
- It doesn’t keep well, so plan to enjoy it as soon as you make it.
I would definitely make this again – it’s so easy and it satisfies a craving for macaroni and cheese but without all the calories and fat.
Here are a few more recipes that are easy to make, too!
Healthier Boxed Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 box Kraft macaroni and cheese
- 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese
- Boil macaroni noodles until desired doneness. Drain noodles and pour noodles back into the pot. Add in cheese mix and cottage cheese and mix until the cheese mix is dissolved. Serve immediately.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.