While most people having been trying to honor New Year’s resolutions to eat healthy, my mind has pretty much been occupied by what I want to eat during Super Bowl Sunday. I’ve been coming up with lots of different recipes and trying existing recipes as well.
I came across a recipe for pizza dip on Hungry Girl which I found intriguing because it satisfies pizza cravings, works perfectly for a Super Bowl appetizer, and is on the healthy side for those looking for healthier alternatives.
The original recipe had a lot of work. While I’m sure it tastes good with all of Hungry Girl’s other additions, I simplified and modified the recipe quite a bit to come up with something that takes less time but still tastes like pizza.
I really enjoyed this dip. It’s perfect for dipping chips, pita bread, pretzel bites, pizza crust, pizza dough bites– basically anything.
When DH first tried it he commented that it tasted really “rich.” To which I triumphantly replied back “It’s not! It’s actually quite light in calories and fat compared to other Super Bowl recipes!” This will definitely be on our Super Bowl Sunday menu.
- 1 (8-oz) tub fat-free cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup mushroom marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup mini pepperonis or chopped up turkey pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Blend cream cheese, mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce into the food processor until blended and smooth. There will be some tiny lumps remaining from the cheese, but that's okay.
- Place in an oven-safe glass bowl. Add in half the pepperoni and mix, keeping the pepperoni in the middle of the dip rather than on top. Heat for about 15 minutes until dip is hot. Remove from oven and top with remaining pepperoni. Serve immediately.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.