This easy cauliflower dish consists of sauteed cauliflower coated in a honey lemon glaze, for a simple weeknight meal.
The other day I tried a new poke place that just opened and they have an option for brown rice and cauliflower as the base. Obviously jumping on the cauliflower rice trend but I loved that it was offered. And it got me wanting to make more cauliflower recipes again! I took a short break with all my zucchini experimenting and while I’m definitely not through with that, I have been in the mood for cauliflower again.
One thing I like to do is use the florets in place of chicken or other kinds of meat in dishes. I’ve created other recipes like this including my sweet and sour cauliflower and baked orange cauliflower.
For this lemon honey version, I opted to keep it light and not roll the florets in breadcrumbs. Instead, it’s sautéed and coated in the citrus sauce. It’s tangy, sweet, savory and a little spicy and definitely a little healthier prepared this way.
Lemon Honey Sauce
The nice thing about the sauce is that you could use it for other dishes, too. It works really well with the cauliflower, but I think it’d be a great sauce for chicken or shrimp, too.
- Fresh lemon juice
- Low sodium soy sauce
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Cornstarch and water
First, saute your cauliflower florets in a skillet. Once they are tender remove them and then use the same pan to make the sauce.
Combine everything but the cornstarch and water in the skillet. Bring it to a simmer and give it a taste – you add more ingredients if you want it spicier, saltier, sweeter etc.
In a small bowl mix the cornstarch with water and then add it to the sauce. Stir and simmer the sauce until it thickens. You want it pretty thick because when you add the cauliflower it will thin the sauce.
Add the cooked florets and stir to coat it in the sauce. I garnished mine with fresh scallions.
This is a really nice light dinner. We enjoy it as it is, but you could add a side of rice to go with it. I hope you enjoy it – if you want more ideas be sure to check out all of my cauliflower recipes.
Honey Lemon Cauliflower
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp cornstarch + 3 tbsp water
- Add oil to a large pan over the stove and bring to medium-high heat. Add in the cauliflower and cook until tender. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add all sauce ingredients except cornstarch and water. Bring to a simmer, stirring to mix everything together. Taste and adjust as needed. You may want yours less sweet, more sweet, etc.
- In a small bowl, completely dissolve cornstarch in water. Add to sauce and immediately begin stirring so that the cornstarch does not clump up. Continue to stir until sauce comes to a low boil and thickens. The sauce should be fairly thick. This is okay because once it is mixed with the cauliflower, it will thin out.
- Drain any liquid from cauliflower pan. Add in sauce and stir over medium heat until all cauliflower is evenly coated and heated. Serve immediately. Garnish with fresh chopped scallions if desired.
- I like to use sriracha, but you can substitute your favorite hot sauce. If you are cooking gluten-free make sure to choose a gluten-free brand.
- Like the hot sauce, if you are cooking gluten-free make sure to choose a soy sauce brand that is gluten-free.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.