Today I’m sharing a mug cake recipe that tastes just like hot chocolate in a cake form. It’s a perfect treat for these chillier days, best eaten warm with the marshmallows still gooey.
This recipe is in my new cookbook 5-Minute Mug Cakes*!
Over Thanksgiving weekend I consumed a lot of hot chocolate. Part of the reason was to stay warm because my parents’ house is always freezing. The other reason was just that I love drinking hot chocolate with others. I even packed some Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate K-Cups in my luggage, to make sure there would be enough for the whole family. For some reason, drinking hot chocolate with loved ones just makes it so much more special.
This mug cake adds a scoop of hot chocolate powder and is studded with mini marshmallows. It tastes especially good straight out of the microwave and it should help keep you warm too. It’s also a really great idea for a holiday present. You can make a mug cake kit set, with instructions on how to make the cake, and provide all the dry ingredients. It’s actually what I’m planning on doing this holiday season.
Here is a recent video I did of my chocolate chip mug cake to give you an idea of how easy it is to make mug cakes!
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Hot Chocolate Mug Cake
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp hot cocoa mix (see note)
- 2 tsp granulated white sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 mini marshmallows
- Add all ingredients except mini marshmallows into a microwave-safe mug. Mix with a small whisk until batter is smooth. Add in mini marshmallows. If you want them on the top, leave them as is. If you want them mixed into the batter, stir them into the batter.
- Microwave for about 1 minute, or until cake is cooked. Top of cake should be dry to the touch. Cake is best consumed warm.
- For the hot chocolate mix, I used 1 tablespoon from a packet of Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate with mini marshmallows.
- *Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Check out my full mug cake recipe index!