Brownie Mug Cake
This single serving brownie is rich, chocolaty and fudgy. It comes together in just a few minutes and makes a delicious treat, late-night snack or dessert.
I don’t know why but whenever the kitchen is finally clean, the first thing I do is make a mess. I don’t always mean to mess it up. For instance, I figured making a mug cake would be a minimal amount of tools, ingredients and clean-up. But it took me six tries to get this one right, so you can imagine what the kitchen looked like after.
But all the effort was worth it because I am so happy with how these mug cake came out. It looks so fudgy doesn’t it?
Have you seen that new Siri commercial with Cookie Monster? The commercial always confuses me. My initial reaction to the cookies taking so long is that Siri is broken and the timer didn’t go off when it was supposed to. After all, he does so many things while waiting and the timer still hasn’t gone off. But obviously that isn’t the message they are going for. I also really want a cookie after watching the commercial. Though this brownie will do too. And I don’t need to wait 14 minutes for it to cook!
Brownie Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour (make sure to level off your spoon when measuring the flour so that you don't use more than 1 tbsp)
- 1 1/2 tbsp whisked egg (about 1/2 of a large egg)
* Please don't eliminate or lessen the sugar. The sugar does more than add sweetness, it also helps create the fudgy and moist texture.
* Make sure when you measure out the flour, you measure flour the correct way by using another spoon to spoon flour into your 1 tbsp measuring spoon, and then level off the measuring spoon with a flat edge like the back of knife, rather than just dunking your measuring spoon directly into the flour. Too much flour will make this cake dry and cakey.
1. In a microwave-safe mug (use one that can hold at least 6 oz of liquid), add chocolate chips. Place butter on top of chocolate chips. Cover surface of mug with paper towel and place into the microwave. Heat chocolate and butter at full power, for about 50 seconds if butter is cold or 40 seconds if butter is room temperature. Butter should be nearly completely melted when you're finished.
2. Gently whisk butter and chocolate with a mini whisk until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
3. Add in sugar, flour and egg. Whisk vigorously with a mini whisk until batter is smooth and ingredients are completely incorporated. Make sure you put some strength into the mixing. Because you're dealing with chocolate, it's harder to see if the egg is completely beaten in and you want to make sure all ingredients have been completely beaten together.
4. Microwave brownie at full power for about 1 minute. Brownie should look done but may be slightly gooey around the edges. Let brownie cool for about 10 minutes before eating. If you allow it to cool a little longer, about 15-20 minutes, it will actually have an even fudgier texture.
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!