This single serving brownie is rich, chocolaty and fudgy. It comes together in just a few minutes and makes a delicious treat, late-night snack or dessert.
I don’t know why but whenever the kitchen is finally clean, the first thing I do is make a mess. I don’t always mean to mess it up. For instance, I figured making a mug cake would be a minimal amount of tools, ingredients, and clean-up. But it took me six tries to get this one right, so you can imagine what the kitchen looked like after.
But all the effort was worth it because I am so happy with how these mug cake came out. It looks so fudgy, doesn’t it?
Have you seen that new Siri commercial with Cookie Monster? The commercial always confuses me. My initial reaction to the cookies taking so long is that Siri is broken and the timer didn’t go off when it was supposed to. After all, he does so many things while waiting and the timer still hasn’t gone off. But obviously, that isn’t the message they are going for. I also really want a cookie after watching the commercial. Though this brownie will do too. And I don’t need to wait 14 minutes for it to cook!
If your’re looking for a bigger batch of cookies you might like my Brownie Cookies!
Recipe now updated with video! You can also find all my recipe videos on my youtube channel.
Brownie Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp granulated white sugar (see note)
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour (see note)
- 1 1/2 tbsp whisked egg about 1/2 of a large egg
- In a microwave-safe mug (use one that can hold at least 6 oz of liquid), add chocolate chips. Place butter on top of chocolate chips. Cover surface of the mug with paper towel and place into the microwave. Heat chocolate and butter at full power, for about 50 seconds if butter is cold or 40 seconds if butter is room temperature. Butter should be nearly completely melted when you're finished.
- Gently whisk butter and chocolate with a mini whisk until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Add in sugar, flour, and egg. Whisk vigorously with a mini whisk until batter is smooth and ingredients are completely incorporated. Make sure you put some strength into the mixing. Because you're dealing with chocolate, it's harder to see if the egg is completely beaten in and you want to make sure all ingredients have been completely beaten together.
- Microwave brownie at full power for about 1 minute. Brownie should look done but may be slightly gooey around the edges. Let brownie cool for about 10 minutes before eating. If you allow it to cool a little longer, about 15-20 minutes, it will actually have an even fudgier texture.
- Please don't eliminate or lessen the sugar. The sugar does more than add sweetness it also helps create the fudgy and moist texture.
- Make sure when you measure out the flour you measure flour the correct way by using another spoon to spoon flour into your 1 tbsp measuring spoon, and then level off the measuring spoon with a flat edge like the back of a knife, rather than just dunking your measuring spoon directly into the flour. Too much flour will make this cake dry and cakey.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
I loved this recipe to bits! Had so much fun times with the fam in the kitchen. Especially my little goofball of a three year. All fun and games until the little stinker started puking violently. No!! But What a tasty recipe especially with little chippers of chocolate!!!
Oops I meant 4 stars!!!
Thanks for updating it!
Hi, I’m about to try your recipe. I’d like to experiment by using dark chocolate (maybe 70% cocoa butter). Because I don’t normally buy chocolate chips. Another option may be to use some Dutch cocoa powder. How much should I use with either ingredient? Is it worth a try???
The dark chocolate should work fine but not sure about the cocoa powder – we haven’t tried that.
May I ask what wattage microwave you have?
And only 1 Tbsp of flour is used??
Thanks, looking forward to making this!
Yes, that is the measurement for the flour. Please see the notes in the recipe card for the best way to measure it. Also, we use an 1100 watt microwave for our mug cake recipes.
I’m glad you enjoyed!
This is such a great recipe. I added a dash of salt and vanilla to it. I also put pecans and when it was done topped it with a sprinkle of coconut.
I’m so glad you liked it!
OH MY GOSH! I’ve been looking for a mug cake recipie that isn’t sooooo dry and tasteless. This really fits and I don’t feel too bad while eating this as a treat. 10/10! This is by far the best mugcake ever and is worth the wait.
I’m so glad you like it!
Sooooo good I recommend. I personally hate mug cakes but this one is so goodddd!!
I’m glad you like it!
Delicioussss.. I used 2 additional spoons of milk(like it lighter) and salted butter..yummy. Thanks for this recipe:D
I’m glad you liked it!
OMG! Ok, so I am currently in middle school and I just decided to try this recipe and may I tell you, this may be the bestmig cake I have ever had! (My other favorite is your Nutella mug cake) I love this recipe! I would totally this recipe to indulge in and it’s super simple. Also, I made mine with salted butter, and it worked just fine, to anybody that was wondering if it works the same. Thank you for blessing us all with this recipe! ???????
glad you like this recipe!
I tried this recipe and i liked it .Can powdered sugar be used in this recipe ?
I have not tried it with powdered sugar
Is it ok to use regular salted butter?
I don’t recommend salted butter just because there is salt in there and depending on the amount of salt, it could make your brownie a little salty.
I have tired many many different mug cakes/brownies that I have found online in the past and I have to say that this recipe is the best by far! I whipped it up at home and then took it to my dad’s house and microwaved it there for dessert after dinner. They fell in love with it and ask me to bring it almost every time that I come over now. Thanks so much for this amazing recipe 🙂
thank you so much for sharing your experience! I’ so glad that you and your family like it!!
Wow this was the best mug cake I’ve ever had! Thanks for the recipe!
I’m happy to hear that!
So, I doubled the recipe into a big bowl for a massive chocolate craving. May I just say, yum! Thanks for such an easy recipe.
nice! double the recipe, I like it!
Great idea..wonderful for 2 people and not making 2 separate mugs ???
I just made this recipe because we had mo sweets in the cupboards! So fudgy – yummy!
I’m glad you enjoyed it!
Can I use oil instead of butter? Thanks
You can, but I found the results were best with butter.
Warm, chocolatey deliciousness I don’t have to share with anyone? Okay, you twisted my arm. Looks amazing!