This simple fluffy cake is not overly sweet and is bursting with fresh blueberries. It works for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or any other time of the day.
Today I got to experience the thrill of actually making a recipe from my book. I’ve been so caught up in the excitement of being a cookbook author that I never really thought of much beyond that, like the fact that being a cookbook author means that one day I will be in the kitchen making a recipe, and it will be my cookbook opened for reference!
I had a craving for something sweet and simple and I thought of my blueberry mug cake. I went on my blog to find the recipe and was surprised that I’ve actually never shared it before. So then I started to pull out my book draft, when it suddenly dawned on me that I no longer need to do so because I already have the physical copy. You can imagine my excitement.
Also you see that dusting of powdered sugar on the picture page? The photo is so sharp that I actually thought I had gotten flour on my new book and attempted to wipe it off. Silly me!
This recipe actually took me a long time to perfect. Getting a white cake base that doesn’t tasty eggy, oily or rubbery was really quite frustrating. But I’m really thrilled with the result and I hope you are too.
What is especially great is that it really works for almost any seasonal fresh fruit. I mentioned earlier that the book offers a lot of alternative variations and this is the perfect example. I wasn’t going to be redundant and make a mango cake, a strawberry cake, and a blueberry cake all with basically the same base and just swapping out the fruit. So I chose one, but there is a nice little cloud note that let’s you know you can swap out the blueberries for other fruit variations.
This blueberry cake isn’t too sweet on its own, making it a yummy breakfast too. Speaking of breakfast treats, I’m so happy the weekend is around the corner!
As a quick reminder, here is list of online retailers where you can purchase my book!
Blueberry Mug Cake
- 4 tbsp (30 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fat-free milk
- 1/2 tbsp (7.5 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 blueberries
- Combine all ingredients except blueberries in an oversized microwave-safe mug. Mix with a small whisk until batter is smooth. Stir in blueberries (Make sure you stir these into the batter. If you leave them on top they might burst open onto your microwave).
- Cook in microwave for about 1 minute. If cake is not done, heat an additional 15 seconds. Let cake cool a few minutes before eating. Cake is best consumed while still warm or within a few hours of it being cooked.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.