Look how blue these blueberry cupcakes are! And there is no food coloring. This is all natural. I love being able to achieve different color desserts through their natural dyes.
Last week I made sour cream blueberry ice cream, and the blueberry puree used was a purplish blue that created a vibrate purple ice cream. I immediately wanted to use the puree in cupcakes. Blueberry puree is really simple to make. I dreaded and put it off for a long time, but once I made it, I realized how quick it is, and now I want to make it all the time.
I’ve seen a few blueberry cupcake recipes out there, but I decided to experiment and create my own. I think it still needs a bit of tweaking, but I was happy with my first attempt. These cupcakes actually came out an even darker shade of blue than I anticipated. Perhaps I’ll use less puree next time for a lighter blue.
The other problem is that while the cupcakes were super blue the night I made them, the next day the inside turned sort of brown inside (though they remained very blue on the outside).
I thought of making a blueberry mascarpone frosting, but I didn’t want to hide these little blue babies, so I decided to leave them plain.
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen, if frozen, thaw and drain
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan cook blueberries, 1/3 cup sugar over medium heat, stirring, until mixture boils and the berries pop and soften, about 4 minutes.
- Pour the berry mixture into a blender and whirl until a seemingly homogeneous puree is achieved, about 1 minute. Pour mixture through a fine sieve and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare 2 cupcake pans.
- Sift flour, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl. In bowl of mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until combined. Add sour cream, oil and vanilla until combined. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Mix in puree.
- Fill cupcake pans 3/4 way. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.