I don’t know why, but just the name hot milk made this cake sound so appealing to me. Images floated in my head of a simple, soft and delicious sponge cake.
I tried making a hot milk sponge cake once before. I was disappointed with the result. It looked so beautiful but it tasted dry and not at all like I imagined.
This recipe seemed promising so I tried again. I was a little sloppy making it so my cake didn’t bake up as pretty as I wanted, but it tasted as wonderful as I imagined. I won’t share how much of the cake I ate myself in one sitting. I’ll just let you know it was a lot…
This is one of my favorite cakes I’ve made. Soft, sweet, spongy. I still don’t really know what the hot milk does to affect the cake. I just know I love this cake and will be making it again. If you’re a fan of sponge cakes or chiffon cakes, definitely give this a try.
Hot Milk Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups fat free milk
- 10 tbsp butter cubed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl of a stand mixer, using the wire whip attachment, beat eggs on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick, at least double the size, and egg mixture turns a lighter yellow color. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy (about 2-3 more minutes). Beat in vanilla.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl. Gradually add to batter, beating at low speed until smooth.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter is melted. Gradually add to batter; beat on low speed, until just combined.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. spring foam pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting and serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.