French yogurt cake is an easy cake recipe that is flavored with lemon and ground almonds. It has tender crumb and is a nice cake to serve with a cup of tea or coffee.
What is it about French desserts and how cute and elegant they always look? I love to browse French dessert recipes so when I found a French Yogurt Cake on My Cookbook Addiction I was excited to try it. This cake looked pretty as a picture and it was very easy to make. I opted to skip the glaze and just made the cake.
The original recipe is from the cookbook, Dorie Greenspan Baking: From My Home to Yours. I’ve made world peace cookies and an almond tea cake from the same book so I was hoping the yogurt cake would be good, too.
- All-purpose flour
- Ground almonds
- Baking powder
- Lemon zest
- Plain yogurt
- Vanilla extract
- Flavorless oil
I used my 7×3” loaf pan for this recipe but you can use a 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
To enhance the lemon flavor in the cake, the recipe directs you to combine the sugar and lemon zest together using your fingers. Rubbing the two together distributes the oils from the zest in the sugar so it’s fragrant and very lemony.
The rest of the cake batter is easy – just whisk the dry ingredients in one bowl and mix the wet ingredients in another bowl. Then all you have to do is combine the two together.
Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake the cakes. That’s it.
Taste and Texture of the Cake
- I like the texture of the cake – it’s very light.
- The cake is not too sweet which I enjoyed, too. You can easily serve it for breakfast or as a snack cake. If you add the glaze you could also serve it as a light dessert.
- The cake is a little oily to the touch. I think the combination of the oil and ground almonds made this happen. I didn’t love that aspect of the cake but overall, I think it tasted good.
More Cake Recipes
French Yogurt Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flavorless oil
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously butter an 8 ½ x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan and place the pan on a baking sheet. (I used a 7 x 3 loaf pan).
- Whisk together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt.
- Put the sugar and zest in a medium bowl and, with your fingertips, rub the zest into the sugar until the sugar is moist and aromatic. Add the yogurt, eggs and vanilla and whisking vigorously until the mixture is very well blended. Still whisking, add the dry ingredients, then switch to a large rubber spatula and fold in the oil. You'll have a thick, smooth batter with a slight sheen. Scrape the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the cake begins to come away from the sides of the pan; it should be golden brown and a thin knife inserted into the center will come out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes, then run a blunt knife between the cake and the sides of the pan. Unmold, and cool to room temperature right side up on the rack.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.