An easy, one-bowl recipe for a chocolate loaf cake. The cake uses yogurt to reduce calories and keep the cake super moist. It’s a simple loaf cake that will satisfy your chocolate cravings.
Sometimes I’m just craving a simple loaf cake. Nothing fancy, no need for frosting, decorations, etc. Just a tasty, easy loaf cake. This is that cake.
One Bowl Recipe
You don’t need a stand mixer for this recipe. Instead, you can whisk all the ingredients by hand. One-bowl recipes are my favorite as they mean less clean-up.
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Espresso powder
- Granulated white sugar
- Plain nonfat yogurt
- Large eggs
- Canola oil
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and espresso powder. Stir in the salt and sugar.
Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth. Pour the batter into a prepared 8×4” loaf pan.
If you don’t plan to serve the whole cake at once, I recommend only slicing off the pieces you want. Keep the rest of the cake tightly wrapped and it will stay moist for a few days.
Bake the cake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool in the pan before removing and slicing.
Texture and Taste
- The cake is very moist and fluffy, as a result of the use of yogurt.
- It has a strong chocolate flavor, which is enhanced by the espresso powder added to the batter.
- If you wish for an even stronger chocolate flavor, you can also add chocolate chips to the batter.
This is a great recipe to try when you want a quick chocolate cake to satisfy a craving. I hope you enjoy it!
More Loaf Cakes
Chocolate Yogurt Loaf Cake
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350'F. Grease an 8 inch by 4 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and espresso powder. Stir in salt and sugar.
- Add yogurt, eggs, and oil. Whisk until batter is smooth.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool in pan before removing and slicing.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.