This sour cream chocolate is a one-bowl cake recipe. It has a moist and tender crumb from the sour cream and a rich chocolate flavor from melted chocolate in the batter.
My Nordic Ware bakeware collection continues to grow as I add more bundt pans. I can’t help it, I love all the shapes especially my new Nordic Ware Platinum Collection Cast Aluminum Fancy Heart Pan* so I wanted to try a chocolate cake recipe. A heart-shaped chocolate cake dusted with powdered sugar? Sounds like a perfect dessert to me.
I found a recipe on Food Librarian (aka bundt cake Goddess) that looked really good. It has sour cream as an ingredient which I knew would make a delicious cake. I also liked that you only need one bowl to make the batter, which isn’t always the case with cake recipes.
- Melted chocolate (the boiling water, chocolate and butter combo)
- Brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Sour cream
- Pure vanilla extract
How to Make It
This cake has a rich chocolate flavor because it’s made with melted chocolate instead of unsweetened cocoa powder. It adds an extra step, but it’s worth it in the end and it’s really not hard at all.
All you do is combine unsweetened baking chocolate, boiling water, and butter in a bowl and stir until the chocolate mixture is melted and smooth.
Once you’ve melted your chocolate you can make the cake.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add the melted chocolate to the dry ingredients and mix to combine with an electric mixer.
Add the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla and mix for about a minute or until well combined. Pour the cake batter into a prepared bundt pan and bake the cake for about 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes before turning it onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar before serving. You can also frost the cake or add a chocolate glaze.
Wrap the leftover cake in plastic wrap and it will keep for a couple of days at room temperature.
I think this sour cream chocolate cake is really pretty. And it was really easy to make even though melting chocolate is required. If you want to try more cake recipes here are a few more you might enjoy.
- Chocolate Yogurt Loaf Cake
- Eggless Custard Cake
- Whipped Cream Cake
- Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Nutella Cake
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Sour Cream Chocolate Bundt Cake
- 3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- Combine the baking chocolate, butter and boiling water in a small bowl; stir until chocolate and butter are melted.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients; blend well. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla; beat one for one minute at medium speed. Pour into prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Invert the pan onto the cooling rack and let cool the rest of the way.Top with powdered sugar.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.