Instant Pot Korean Beef
An easy version of Korean Beef made in the Instant Pot. Everything cooks in one pot for minimal clean-up and is ready in about 30 minutes.
This month has just been crazy busy so far and I haven’t been able to spend as much time prepping or planning meals as I usually do. So we’ve been doing a lot of sheet pan, one pot, and Instant Pot meals.
My family loves Korean-style marinated beef. We often make bulgogi on the grill for BBQs and Korean beef bowls for meal prep.
This version of Korean beef cooks the beef in a sweet, savory and slightly spicy sauce. Most of the Instant Pot Korean Beef recipes I came across use stew meat which is then shredded after it is done cooking. However, I chose to use top sirloin because I wanted a more beefy steak texture.
The beef soaks up the flavors of the marinade very quickly during the pressurized cooking. The end result is a very flavorful, Korean inspired beef dish. My Korean beef was ready before my rice had even finished cooking!
- I used top sirloin steak but you can also try flank steak.
- Gochujang paste is a spicy, savory and sweet fermented Korean sauce. It is usually available at most grocery stores, though there will be more brands available at Asian grocery stores.
- You can taste the marinade and adjust as needed before adding it to the meat.
The cooking times and measurements are based on the Instant Pot 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker (6 Quart Version)*. Times may vary with other versions of the Instant Pot. If you have an 8 quart version, you will need to adjust (most likely double) this recipe to have enough liquid in the pot for your Instant Pot to pressurize.
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Instant Pot Korean Beef
- 1 tbsp canola or olive oil
- 2 lb top sirloin steak (you can also use flank steak), cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup beef stock or broth
- 2 tsp gochujang paste
- 2 tbsp cooking rice wine
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp water + 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp white sesame seeds
- Add oil to the inner pot inside your Instant Pot. Set Instant Pot to saute function. Once oil is heated, add in steak and cook briefly to brown the exterior of the steak cubes (about 2 minutes). Turn off saute function.
- In a medium bowl, add soy sauce, brown sugar, beef stock, gochujang paste, rice wine, garlic, ginger, sesame oil. Whisk until evenly mixed. Pour over beef. Seal your Instant Pot. Set it on manual mode, high pressure, for 10 minutes.
- When Instant Pot is done, do a quick release (if you do a natural release, it will overcook the meat). While the Instant Pot is releasing, add cornstarch and water to a small bowl and mix until cornstarch is fully dissolved. When Instant Pot is safe to open, remove lid and stir meat a few times. Pour cornstarch water into potand immediately stir into the sauce. If you do not do this immediately, the cornstarch will cook and clump up. Set your Instant Pot on saute function again and stir until sauce has thickened (about 3 minutes). Garnish beef with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve with rice or similar rice substitute.
- Please see detailed cooking tips above the recipe box.
- The cooking times and measurements are based on the Instant Pot 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker (6 Quart Version).*
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!