These creamy and fluffy Instant Pot mashed potatoes cook in ten minutes! It’s my go-to easy mashed potato recipe for the holidays.
Mashed potatoes are one of my “must-have” sides during Thanksgiving and over the years I’ve tried many recipes and methods trying to find the best way to make mashed potatoes. I’m not sure why I didn’t think to make mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot sooner. My friend mentioned that she was trying it out while prepping for a Friendsgiving test run, which gave me the idea to try it out.
Can You Use an Instant Pot to Make Mashed Potatoes?
Yes! Using your Instant Pot to make mashed potatoes is so much easier than the traditional stovetop method.
- For this recipe, I used a 6-Quart Instant Pot*. All you have to do is place peeled and cubed potatoes in the Instant Pot with enough water to cover them.
- The potatoes cook in ten minutes and you don’t have to check on them constantly. Because of the pressurized cooking, you need very little time to cook them. You could easily make these in the time it takes for the turkey to rest after you’ve taken it out of the oven.
- Plus, you will save room on the stovetop for other dishes. For Thanksgiving, I like to make several side dishes and I love that I can free up space on my stove for other dishes and use my Instant Pot for the mashed potatoes.
- Once the potatoes are done cooking you can mash them right in the Instant Pot and keep them warm until you are ready to serve them.
- You can customize the mashed potatoes with your favorite flavors, but I like to keep mine simple. These creamy and fluffy mashed potatoes have only 6 simple ingredients.
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes washed and peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- salt to taste
- Add cut potatoes into the Instant Pot. Fill with enough water until all the potatoes are covered (about 4 cups of water). Seal Instant Pot and set to cook for 10 minutes on high pressure in manual mode.
- While potatoes are cooking, add milk, garlic and butter to a small saucepan. Bring saucepan to medium heat and stir until butter is melted into the milk and garlic is soft. Set aside.
- When potatoes are done cooking, do a quick release. Drain potatoes and place them into a large bowl. Add milk mixture. Using a potato masher, mash until smooth. Stir in sour cream. Add salt as needed. Serve mashed potatoes with butter or gravy.
- I used the 6 Quart Instant Pot 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker* and this OXO potato masher*.
- *Some of the product links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.