Buttery, melt-in-your-mouth, lemon flavored shortbread cookies. These cookies are just 4 ingredients and are also low carb and keto-friendly. They are an easy dessert for any occasion.
Shortbread cookies are one of my favorite types of cookies and I love that it is possible to make a low carb version that tastes just as buttery and melty.
- Superfine Almond Flour
All you need are four ingredients to make this buttery shortbread.
Erythritol is used to sweeten the cookies. Other similar granular sugar substitutes should also work.
Superfine Blanched Almond Flour
Make sure you use superfine almond flour. You want the fine texture so that your shortbread melts and doesn’t have any grittiness.
Refrigerating the Dough
You do need to refrigerate the cookie dough before baking, so plan ahead. The dough needs to chill for at least 30 minutes. If you do not refrigerate the dough, the cookie dough will be hard to handle and the cookies will spread too much during baking.
More Easy Low Carb Cookie Recipes
- 2 Ingredient Almond Cookies
- 4 Ingredient Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Keto Peanut Butter Cookies
- 2 Ingredient Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies
Keto Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp erythritol granular
- 1/2 (packed) tbsp lemon zest + 1 tsp lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 2 cups superfine blanched almond flour
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and erythritol. Cream together until light and fluffy. Add in lemon zest and lemon juice and mix until incorporated. Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Add in almond flour and mix in slowly until completely incorporated and a dough forms.
- Place dough between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll out the dough until it is 3/8 inch thick. Place dough into the fridge and let it firm up for at least 30 minutes. The dough does not need to be completely chilled, just firm enough that you will be able to cut and move the cookies.
- While waiting for the dough to chill, preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After 30 minutes, remove dough from fridge. Slice into rectangles approximately 2 inches by 1.5 inches. Carefully peel cookies from parchment paper and place onto prepared baking sheet, spacing cookies about 1 inch apart. Reroll dough scraps and repeat.
- Bake cookies about 15 minutes or until edges turn light brown.
- Let cookies cool completely on baking sheet to let them set. Cookies will firm up as they cool. Do not remove cookies until they are set.
- You will not use the entire lemon but one lemon should be enough to produce 1/2 tbsp lemon zest and 1 tsp lemon juice.
- Make sure to use superfine almond flour. I used Kirkland Signature superfine almond flour.*
- I used So Nourished Erythritol Sweetener Granular.*
- *This product link is an affiliate link. This means I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no extra charge to you).
- Estimated nutrition provides total carbs, carbs from erythritol and net carbs. The net carbs count excludes fiber and carbs from erythritol. If you are on a keto diet, please remember to look at net carbs and not just total carbs.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.