Low carb, keto-friendly, gluten-free cheese crackers. These homemade crackers are easy to make and ready in about 30 minutes. If you’re looking for low carb snacks, this is a great recipe to try.
These crispy cheesy keto crackers are delicious and easy. I’ve already made them twice this week. These are almond flour crackers using the fathead pizza dough I used for my low carb keto bagels.
What I love about this recipe is that you can easily switch it up. You can make plain keto cheese crackers or add different seasonings and spices. You can enjoy them just as they are or pair them with a dip like guacamole, salsa, or another keto-friendly dip.
- Low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Superfine almond flour
- Cream cheese
- Large egg
How to Make the Cracker Dough
- The dough is made of shredded mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, superfine almond flour and egg.
- The cheeses and almond flour are melted together in the microwave. You do need to be careful to not melt too long or the cheeses may burn.
- Once the melted cheeses and almond flour are stirred together, they should be able to form a smooth ball.
- Let the dough ball cool slightly before adding the egg, otherwise, the egg will get cooked if the dough is still too hot.
- Evenly blend the egg into the dough. The dough will be quite sticky.
How to Roll Out and Cut the Cracker Dough
To roll out the dough, you will need two pieces of parchment paper. The dough should be placed on top of one and then another sheet of parchment paper goes on top of the dough. This will prevent the dough from sticking to the rolling pin.
Roll your dough out as thinly as possible. The thinner your dough is, the crispier your crackers will be. If you prefer something puffier and not as crispy, you can make your dough a little thicker.
Use a pizza cutter to cut dough into 1-inch squares. I found a pizza cutter works much better than a knife.
How to Bake Them
Place squares on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake the crackers for 5 minutes and then flip them over and bake for another 5 minutes or until crackers are golden and crispy.
Once the crackers are cooled you can store them in an airtight container. I recommend storing them in the refrigerator although keep in mind they won’t keep long given the ingredients they’re made with.
They will soften so it’s best to reheat them to crisp them up. I do this in the oven but some readers who have tried this recipe have reheated them in an air fryer with good results.
Can you use other types of cheese?
I have only tested this recipe with low-fat mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. I don’t recommend using whole milk mozzarella cheese because it has too much moisture.
Some readers have subbed the mozzarella cheese with cheddar cheese and Monterey jack cheese with success, but I haven’t tried it myself.
Allow crackers to cool slightly before eating. Keep uneaten crackers stored in airtight container in fridge. Reheat in oven to re-crisp crackers.
Can you use coconut flour?
I haven’t tried coconut flour in this recipe. A reader has tried it and suggests using half the amount – coconut flour is very absorbent so you don’t need as much. Please let me know in the comments if you try this sub and how it worked for you!
The recipe below is for the basic cheese cracker. However, you can also add herbs and spices to make different flavors.
- For example, dried herbs like rosemary, parsley, oregano, can be added directly into the dough.
- You can also add salt, ground black pepper, or chili pepper for some spice.
I like my crackers thin and crispy but if you make the dough a little thicker, the crackers have a puffy soft center and crispy edges and it tastes pretty good that way as well.
If you’re following a keto diet, these low carb crackers are a great way to satisfy a snack craving. I hope you try them!
More Recipes You Might Like
- I’ve also have an even easier keto cheese cracker recipe with just two ingredients!
- Low Carb Keto Bagels
- Keto Breadsticks
- Low Carb Keto Biscuits
Or, If you want more keto recipe ideas, you can check out all my keto recipes here.
Recipe now updated with video! You can also find all my recipe videos on my youtube channel.
- 2 cups shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup superfine almond flour
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add cheeses and then almond flour. Make sure the almond flour covers the cream cheese. Place a paper towel over the bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds or until cheese is bubbly. Be careful to not heat the cheese too long or it will start to burn.
- Stir mixture until uniform. You should have a smooth dough ball.
- Allow mixture to cool a few minutes until it is no longer hot, just warm to the touch.
- Add in egg. If you add in the egg while the dough is hot, it will cook the egg, which is why you need to let the dough cool slightly. Stir in egg until it is evenly blended into the dough.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on pastry board or flat surface you will be using to roll out your dough. Place dough ball on top of parchment paper. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough as thinly as possible. (about 1mm thick) The thinner the dough, the crispier the cracker.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut dough into 1-inch squares.
- Place squares on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes. The dough will still be very pale, this is okay. Flip crackers over and bake another 5 minutes or until crackers are golden and crispy.
- Allow crackers to cool slightly before eating. Keep uneaten crackers stored in airtight container in fridge. Reheat in oven to re-crisp crackers.
- To roll out the dough, you will need two sheets of parchment paper. The dough should be placed on top of one and then another sheet of parchment paper goes on top of the dough. This will prevent the dough from sticking to the rolling pin.
- Roll your dough out as thinly as possible. The thinner your dough is, the crispier your crackers will be. If you prefer something more puffy and not as crispy, you can make your dough a little thicker (around 2mm).
- Use a pizza cutter to cut dough into 1 inch squares. I found a pizza cutter works much better than a knife.
- The recipe below is for the basic cheese cracker. However, you can also add herbs and spices to make different flavors. For example, dried herbs like rosemary, parsley, oregano, can be added directly into the dough. You can also add chili pepper, ground pepper, for a little spice.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.