This is a low carb and keto-friendly version of skillet lasagna that tastes like the real thing. Instead of layering a lasagna, all the ingredients are cooked in a skillet, including bite-sized pieces of low carb lasagna noodles. It’s a delicious and cheesy pasta dish.
One of my favorite things to make when the weather gets a little chilly is skillet lasagna. I’ve already shared a low carb keto lasagna, but I wanted to create a skillet version. The toughest part was figuring out the noodles. While I’ve already shared a 2 ingredient keto pasta, I didn’t want to use cheese noodles for this skillet lasagna. After much testing and research, I was able to make a low carb noodle that really tastes like regular noodles.
Keto Low Carb Noodles
These keto noodles have a texture very much like traditional pasta. You can use them to make all kinds of pasta shapes. The dough can even be run through a pasta machine, but I just used a rolling pin to roll out the dough. When cooked, the noodles have a soft pasta texture. Because of the almond flour, the noodles reminded me a lot of whole wheat noodles.
To mimic the appearance of lasagna noodles, I used a pastry cutter to slice the dough, giving them wavy edges like lasagna noodles. Of course, you can just slice into bite-sized squares as well.
How to Make Keto Low Carb Noodles
- The noodles are made with just four ingredients: almond flour, xanthan gum, psyllium husk powder, and eggs.
- All the ingredients are mixed in a food processor (you can also do this by hand) until a dough ball forms.
- The dough is then rolled out and cut into bite-sized squares.
How to Make Keto Skillet Lasagna
Once, you’re done making the noodles, the rest is easy.
- First, you cook your onions and ground beef or sausage in the skillet.
- Then, you add in tomato sauce and seasonings.
- Once the sauce comes to a simmer, the noodles are added and covered in the sauce. The noodles only take 1-2 minutes to cook.
- Finally, mozzarella and parmesan cheese are stirred in. The dish is finished with dollops of fresh mozzarella, ricotta cheese and shredded basil.
You might like my keto mac and cheese, too!
Keto Low Carb Skillet Lasagna
Keto Low Carb Lasagna Noodles
- 1 cup superfine almond flour
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp +1/2 tsp psyllium husk powder
- 2 large eggs
Keto Skillet Lasagna
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb ground beef or ground Italian sausage
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- salt to taste
- 15 oz canned tomato sauce no sugar added
- 7 oz canned diced tomatoes, no sugar added (I used half of a 14 oz can)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella can use small mozzarella balls or cut a large ball or log into small chunks
- 6 tbsp ricotta cheese
- fresh basil leaves for garnish
- To make the pasta, add almond flour, xanthan gum and psyllium husk powder to a food processor. Pulse until even mixed. Add in eggs. Pulse until a dough forms.
- Remove dough from food processor and knead a few times to smooth out.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper until 1/8 inch thick. Slice dough into 1.5 inch by 2 inch rectangles. If desired, you can use a pastry cutter to achieve wavy edges to resemble lasagna noodles. Set noodles aside.
- In a large skillet, add onions, garlic, and ground meat. Bring to medium-high heat. Stir and cook until meat is mostly cooked and onions are soft and translucent. Drain excess fat from skillet.
- Return skillet back to the stove and reduce heat. Add in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, dried oregano, dried basil. Stir until combined. Taste and season with salt as needed.
- Increase heat just enough to bring tomato sauce to a simmer. Working quickly, place noodles into skillet, covering them in the simmering sauce. Allow noodles to cook in the sauce about 1-2 minutes or until cooked. The sauce should reduce as the noodles cook.
- Stir in shredded mozzarella and parmesan. Top will fresh mozzarella and 1 tbsp dollops of ricotta cheese. Shred fresh basil and sprinkle over surface. Turn off stove and cover skillet with lid until the fresh mozzarella is melted. Serve immediately.
- The keto noodles recipe came from Black Sheep Keto.
- I used this pastry cutter* to slice the noodles to resemble lasagna noodles.
- Because the pasta uses psyllium husk powder, when the noodles are cooked they do turn a grayish brown color. This is normal when using psyllium husk. Some brands may turn food purple. I recommend using Now brand* which results in less discoloration.
- You can mix the noodle dough ingredients by hand if you do not have a food processor.
- Do not drain the diced tomatoes before adding to the skillet.
- *Some of the product links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
- The estimated nutrition information is calculating using 85/15 ground beef.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.