This keto low carb pasta is just 2 ingredients! It’s a quick and easy substitute for regular pasta.
This post is a little bit lengthy, but it’s because I want to make sure I share enough details so that you know what to expect and so it turns out well.
I came across several posts sharing a 2 ingredient keto pasta recently, and of course I was intrigued! I’ll admit, I was fairly skeptical going in. And I doubted the recipe several times as I made it. But when it was finished, it looked like pasta and my husband didn’t suspect a thing when he ate it.
Taste and Texture
I want to make clear that this does not taste the same as traditional pasta made with wheat flour. But it does taste something that resembles noodles–just a bit more cheesy.
The noodles hold up fairly well once they cool. You won’t be able to twirl them around your fork as they aren’t quite as flexible, but they do have a chewy bounciness to them like regular pasta.
Steps for Making the Pasta
The cheese is melted down and mixed with the egg to form a dough. You can then roll the dough out and slice it into thin strips pasta strips.
The dough then needs to sit in the fridge to dry out. So even though the noodles only take a few minutes to make, you will need to prepare this ahead of time. I put mine in the fridge overnight.
The noodles are then cooked in boiling water very briefly. If you cook them too long, they begin to break apart and will just turn into a melty cheese lump.
The noodles must be cooled down over cold water. This will prevent them from sticking together. It will also firm the noodles back up from their melted cheese state.
Serve it with marinara sauce (or pasta sauce of your choice) and it will cover up some of that pure cheese flavor. As I mentioned above, my husband didn’t even suspect anything! He just thought it was a cheesy pasta dish.
Recipe now updated with video! You can also find all my recipe videos on my youtube channel.
Want more recipes? You might like my Keto Garlic Noodles, Keto Bang Bang Zucchini Noodles or browse my whole Keto Recipes collection for even more ideas.
2 Ingredient Keto Pasta
- 1 cup shredded part skim low moisture mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- Add the mozzarella to a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 1 minute. Stir until cheese is completely melted. If needed, heat for an additional 30 seconds or until cheese is completely melted.
- Allow the mozzarella to cool for 1 minute, so that it will not cook the egg. You don't want to cool the cheese too long though because it needs to stay melted.
- Add in egg yolk and stir and mix into the cheese, until you have a uniform yellow dough.
- Place your dough on a flat surface lined with parchment paper. Place another parchment paper on top of the dough.
- Use a rolling pin over the top piece of parchment paper, and roll dough until it is 1/8 inch thick.
- Remove the top piece of parchment and cut the dough into ½ inch wide strips. Refrigerate the pasta for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, bring a pot of water to boil. Do not add salt to the water. Add in pasta. Cook for about 40 seconds to 1 minute. Be careful not to cook too long, otherwise the pasta will lose its form, break down and become a melted cheese mess.
- Remove pasta from pot and run under cold water to cool it down. Gently separate strands sticking together. Allow pasta to cool until it is only slightly warm to the touch. When the pasta cools, it will firm back up, so that it is no longer just melty cheese and it will taste more like pasta rather than just cheese sticks. Serve with your favorite pasta sauce.
- Recipe adapted from Tasty
- Allow pasta to cool before serving, so that the noodles firm up again after they are cooked.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.