Keto Pumpkin Mug Cake
This single-serving pumpkin mug cake is low carb and keto-friendly. The cake comes out fluffy, moist and tastes of pumpkin and warm pumpkin spices. The cake cooks in the microwave in less than 2 minutes.
I wanted to share one more low carb pumpkin recipe before moving on to some other holiday recipes. I have a go-to pumpkin spice mug cake I like making this time of year to satisfy my pumpkin bread cravings without having to bake a full loaf and so I wanted to create a similar one for those on a low carb, keto or gluten-free diet.
This mug cake is super easy to make. All the ingredients are mixed in a microwave-safe mug and then the cake is cooked in the microwave.
For this recipe, you will need:
- pumpkin puree
- coconut flour
- baking powder
How to Make a Keto Pumpkin Mug Cake
- Melt the butter in a microwave-safe mug. Once completely melted, add the pumpkin and egg and whisk until the batter is smooth and no egg streaks remain. It’s important to make sure the egg is fully mixed in at this point because you won’t be able to see any unmixed egg streaks once you add in the other ingredients.
- Then add in the remaining ingredients. Whisk until batter is smooth.
- Cook the cake at full power in the microwave for about 1 minute 45 seconds. Let the cake cool a few minutes before serving. I topped mine with fresh whipped cream and a light dusting of cinnamon. You can also use sugar-free maple syrup or sugar-free chocolate syrup.
Mug Cake Tips
- You can use fresh or canned pumpkin puree. If your pumpkin puree is very watery, try to drain the excess liquid or dab the puree with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- I chose coconut flour for this recipe because it is highly absorbent and pumpkin puree contains a lot of moisture. If you were to try to make this recipe almond flour, you would need to use a lot of almond flour.
- The cake is best enjoyed warm and soon after it is done cooking. If you are not planning on eating it right away, make sure to keep it in an airtight container so that it does not get dry.
If you enjoy this recipe, I also have a keto flourless pumpkin mug cake recipe.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp erythritol granular
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
In a microwave-safe mug, add butter and heat in microwave until completely melted. Only heat a few seconds at a time, swirling in between, so that the butter does not overheat and splatter.
Once butter is melted, add in pumpkin puree and then egg. Whisk vigorously until batter is smooth and no egg streaks remain.
Add in remaining ingredients. Whisk until batter is smooth.
Cook cake at full power in the microwave for about 1 minute 45 seconds to 2 minutes, or until cake is cooked. Let cake cool a few minutes before adding toppings of your choice and serving.
- I use an 1100 watt microwave. You may need to adjust time and/or power if you are using a different wattage.
- I used So Nourished Erythritol Sweetener Granular* but you can use any granular sugar substitute of your choice.
- The cake is not overly sweet on its own so if you do not plan on adding any toppings, you may want to add a little more sweetener to the batter.
- The final cake is about the size of a regular muffin or cupcake. You can replate in a smaller mug for presentation.
- You can use fresh or canned pumpkin puree. If your pumpkin puree is very watery, drain the excess liquid or dab the puree with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- The cake is best enjoyed soon after it is cooked. If you are not planning on eating it right away, make sure to keep it in an airtight container so that it does not get dry.
- I served the cake with sweetened whipped cream and cinnamon. You can also serve with sugar-free maple syrup or sugar-free chocolate syrup.
- *Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
- Estimated Nutrition Information does not include carbs from erythritol
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have. All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Keto Pumpkin Mug Cake
Amount Per Serving (1 cake)
Calories 240.92 Calories from Fat 167
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 10.61g66%
Vitamin A 5324.94IU106%
Vitamin C 1.26mg2%
Net Carbs 5g10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.