Over the last year, I’ve gotten several requests to post a lemon bar recipe on the blog. I don’t usually have fresh lemons in the house, so I haven’t had an opportunity to experiment.
A few weeks ago, I went home and raided my mom’s garden. I brought back lemons, tomatoes, and more.
For my first lemon bar attempt, I chose to use a recipe from Allrecipes entitled “The Best Lemon Bars Recipe” that received many good reviews. The recipe was very easy to put together.
While I enjoyed the flavors, I feel like this recipe could use some tweaking. I thought the crust and custard ratio was off. Too much crust and too thin of a layer of lemon custard. I also found the crust to be a little too firm and too oily. I’m going to make a few more recipes and try to find or create a “go to” recipe. If anyone has a favorite lemon bar recipe, please share!
I used this recipe found on allrecipes. My only change was that I doubled the amount of lemons after reading several suggestions in the comments to do so.
For the Crust
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
For the Filling
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- Juice of 4 lemons
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
How to Make the Crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine the butter, sugar, and flour together in a bowl. Press the mixtures into the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan.
- Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes or until it’s baked through and golden in color. Remove it from the oven and set it aside while you make the filling. Keep the oven heated to 350°F.
How to Make the Filling
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and flour together. Add the eggs and lemon juice and stir until well combined. Pour the filling over the crust.
- Bake the bars for 20 minutes. Cool them completely (they will thicken as the cool) before slicing and serving. Dust the tops of the bars with powdered sugar, if using.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.