Lime Coconut Mug Cake
This lime coconut mug cake is flavored with fresh lime zest and coconut milk. Plus, it only takes a couple of minutes to make!
I was inspired to make this Lime Coconut Mug cake after Mr. K got the “Lime in the Coconut” song stuck in his head. Officially the song is titled “Coconut” by Harry Nilsson and Mr. K loves to sing it except he only knows one verse. So instead of singing the whole song, he’s just been repeating the “Put the lime in the coconut” part over and over for the last few weeks. We finally listened to all the lyrics recently and now I have the song stuck in my head!
So, with lime and coconut on my mind I’ve been coming up with recipe ideas and I started with this easy mug cake. It’s a tropical cake for one that you can make in just a couple of minutes.
Flavor of the Cake
- You only need a little bit of lime zest for this mug cake. The zest adds a lot more lime flavor than if you just used lime juice.
- I love how the tangy flavor from the zest balances out the sweetness of the cake so it’s not too sweet.
- I used coconut milk and coconut flakes in the cake which gives the cake a nice tropical flavor that pairs well with the lime.
- If you’re not a fan of coconut I also have a Lime Mug Cake that is so good!
- I love how light and fluffy this mug cake is. Even though you only need to cook for a minute in the microwave it cooks up with a texture similar to a regular cake.
- This mug cake does not have any eggs, which helps improve the cake texture because eggs can make a mug cake rubbery.
I love making mug cakes so much I wrote a whole book about them! You can buy my 5-Minute Mug Cakes* cookbook on Amazon.
I also have a Mug Cake Recipe Collection with lots of creative mug cake recipes here on the blog.
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut flakes
- 1/4 tsp lime zest
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Combine all ingredients except lime zest and coconut flakes into a microwave safe mug. Stir with a small whisk until batter is smooth. Make sure you get all the flour, sometimes it gets stick around the edges of the mug. Briefly mix in coconut flakes and lime zest.
Microwave the cake for about 1 minute. Top of cake should be dry and look finished. Top with additional lime zest before eating.