Individual Hasselback sweet potatoes with marshmallows are a fun spin on a classic sweet potato casserole for a Thanksgiving side dish. Each potato is sliced like an accordion and stuffed with marshmallows and baked until tender.
Thanksgiving is just a few days away and I have a few more recipes to share before it gets here. As you call, I’ve already shared my hasselback maple pecan sweet potatoes. And while I really love that recipe, I thought it might be fun to play around with another version.
I thought a twist on sweet potato casserole would be fun. Instead of making the dish with diced potatoes in a baking dish, I made hasselback potatoes with marshmallows instead. It’s a sweet and savory side dish that’s perfect for a holiday meal. Everyone gets their own individual potato.
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Mini marshmallows
How to Slice the Potatoes
Use a sharp knife and starting and start at one end of the sweet potato to slice slits about 1/4 inch wide.
Don’t cut all the way through the potato – you should only slice about ¾ of the way through the potato.
Stuff and Bake the Potatoes
Brush tops and sides of potatoes with olive oil and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake them at 425°F for about 40 minutes or until they are fork-tender.
Take the pan out of the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 375°F. Cool the sweet potatoes until you can handle them.
Stuff each sweet potato with the mini marshmallows. For the marshmallows being stuffed inside, tear them in half and then push them in between the slits of the sweet potato. You don’t need to insert a marshmallow piece in between every slit. I stuffed mine in between every other slit.
Place the pan back into the oven for about 10 minutes or until the marshmallows stuffed inside are melted and the ones on top are toasted.
I have to confess – marshmallow sweet potato casserole is not a dish I’ve ever made. But I do really like how these came out. The hasselback sweet potatoes are stuffed with mini marshmallows that melt in the oven for a gooey finish. I didn’t add too much else because I didn’t want these overly sweet.
More Potato Side Dishes
Marshmallow Stuffed Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes thoroughly washed you want to choose ones that are long and straight
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- about 60 mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- To cut sweet potatoes, use a sharp knife and starting from one end of the sweet potato, slice slits about 1/4 inch wide, but make sure you do not cut all the way through. Cut about 3/4 of the way down for each slice. Repeat with all sweet potatoes.
- Brush tops and sides of sweet potatoes with olive oil. Place onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 40 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 375°F. Allow sweet potatoes to cool enough to be touched.
- Stuff each sweet potato with about 15 mini marshmallows (about 10 inside and 5 on top). For the marshmallows being stuffed inside, rip them in half and then push them in between the slits of the sweet potato. You don't need to insert a marshmallow piece in between every slit. I stuffed mine in between every other slit.
- Place back into the oven and cook for about 10 minutes until the marshmallows stuffed inside are melted and the ones on top are toasted. Serve warm.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
I am making these now! I accidentally cut one on half…. to excited I guess! Can’t wait to see how they come out! Merry christmas guys! Love love love your blog!
I hope they turned out how you hoped!