I’ve made doughnut muffins a couple of times on this blog in different various forms. It’s one of my favorite recipes. Shaped like a muffin, the mini muffins taste very much like a sugar cake donut, except that it is baked instead of fried and doesn’t use any yeast. So far I’ve made mini donut muffins with chocolate glaze, mini pumpkin donut muffins, and cinnamon sugar pumpkin donut muffins.
It’s so easy to whip together, and you don’t even need a mixer. I’ve been playing around with different variations of the recipe. The other day, I got the idea to add some Nutella. Since these are great breakfast treats, adding Nutella seemed like a great idea.
I didn’t want to mix the Nutella directly into the batter because this often causes the Nutella flavor to get lost. So for my first attempt, I added a dollop of Nutella to the middle of each. Unfortunately, once they baked, the Nutella sank to the bottom. They tasted great, but I didn’t like the chocolate being stuck at the bottom.
So then I decided to try swirling the Nutella with the batter. And these came out much better. The Nutella taste still stands out and you get little bits of pure Nutella mixed with the batter, but because it is swirled with the batter, it also doesn’t sink down. They look pretty cool swirled also and don’t need any decorating on top.
I couldn’t stop popping these in my mouth, they were so tasty. These make a perfect breakfast treat!
Nutella Swirl Donut Muffins
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking power
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg until combined. Add in flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Mix until combined. Then mix in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
- Fill each mini muffin cup about 2/3 full with batter. Add a dollop of nutella to each and swirl it around a few times with a knife.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow muffins to cool before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.