Omelet in a Mug
Did you know you can cook eggs in the microwave? All you need are your favorite omelet ingredients, a couple of eggs and a mug to make a super easy microwave omelet. Learn how to make microwave eggs and you can have a quick and easy breakfast for busy weekdays.
I love microwave recipes like mug cakes and the latest obsession at my house are omelets-in-a-mug. This microwave omelet is easy, fast, and perfect if you want a healthy breakfast during the week. There’s very little prep work and you can customize the omelet with your favorite add-ins like breakfast sausage, bacon, and vegetables.
How to Make Microwave Eggs
To make things really easy, I like to prep my omelet ingredients ahead of time. That way, in the morning, all I have to do is whisk the eggs. You can use a lot of different ingredients to flavor your eggs. I like to use 1 to 2 tablespoons of each add-in I want to include. Here are some ideas:
- Shredded cheese like cheddar, mozzarella, provolone, Parmesan, or Gruyere.
- Chopped broccoli
- Chopped bell peppers
- Chopped tomato
- Precooked breakfast sausage, cut into small pieces
- Precooked bacon, chopped
Most of the time I use regular eggs for this recipe, but I have made it with egg whites only and egg substitutes which work really well, too.
When you’re ready to make your microwave omelet here’s what you do:
- Whisk two eggs with 2 to 3 tablespoons of milk in a microwave-safe mug.
- Add your favorite add-ins.
- Cover the mug with a paper towel or paper napkin.
- Cook the omelet for 1 minute. Check the eggs and then cook them for another 30 seconds and check on it again. Most likely, your eggs will need another 30 seconds of cook time until they are cooked through. It usually takes 2 minutes for two eggs to cook, although microwaves can vary so be sure to check before adding more time.
This microwave omelet is so easy we’ve been making them almost every morning the last few weeks. I love that I can switch up the ingredients so I don’t feel like I’m eating the same thing over and over. I hope you give this one a try!
More Microwave Recipes
If you love easy recipes it doesn’t get any easier than microwave mug cake recipes. I’ve made lots of cakes, cookies, and savory treats with a mug and a microwave. They are the perfect single-serving snack or dessert! Here are a few of my favorites…
- 2 eggs you can also use an egg substitute or just egg whites
- 2-3 tbsp of milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp each of the toppings of your choice:
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- green pepper
- breakfast sausage links precooked
- bacon precooked
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Whisk eggs and milk in a microwave safe mug. Add in ingredients. Cover top of mug with a napkin or paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute. Pause and check on omelet. Microwave for about 1 more minute (but at 30 second intervals) until egg is completely cooked. You want to stop halfway into the cooking so that the egg does not overheat. 2 eggs takes about 2 minutes.