Easy avocado macaroni and cheese that only needs one bowl and cooks in the microwave. It’s made with pasta, white cheddar cheese, and creamy avocados.
I love easy recipes you can make in the microwave. They are usually super simple and require very little clean-up. So, after I made my mug macaroni and cheese I knew I wanted to try a different version with avocado and white cheese.
- Uncooked macaroni
- Shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Skim milk
- Mashed avocado
- Black pepper
I like to use Monterey jack cheese for this recipe because it’s milder and doesn’t overpower the avocado flavor, which is subtle. You could substitute white cheddar cheese, but you might not taste the avocado as much.
One thing about making microwave macaroni and cheese is that the water has a tendency to boil over when you cook the pasta. So, this time I opted to make mine in a bowl. There was still overflow, but not as much as when you use a mug. Even so, it’s easy to wipe up.
You will cook the pasta first in the bowl. Depending on your microwave the amount of time will vary, but I recommend doing it like this:
- Start by cooking the pasta in the water for two minutes. If water spills out, just wipe it up when the time is up.
- After two minutes, stir the noodles and then cook them for another minute and check to see if they are cooked through.
- At this point, after three minutes of cooking time, my noodles are done. If yours aren’t, cook them in one-minute intervals until they are. Just check them each time.
When your pasta is cooked, add the cheese and milk and stir. Place the bowl back in the microwave and cook the macaroni and cheese for 30 seconds. This will help melt the cheese. Add the avocado and black pepper and stir again until combined.
The avocados add a nice creaminess to the macaroni and cheese. And I love the green color. I left some big chunks of avocados inside for some extra avocado goodness.
If you want even more mug recipes be sure to check out my microwave mug cakes for even more ideas.
One Bowl Avocado Mac and Cheese
- 1/3 cup macaroni noodles
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup shredded white cheese I used monterey jack
- 1/2 tbsp skim milk
- 1/4 of a ripe avocado mashed
- pinch of black pepper
- Using a large bowl, add water and macaroni. Microwave for 2 minutes. Please note that water will spill out during cooking/heating. Check on noodles and stir. Cook for an additional one minute and check doneness. Cook at additional 1 minute intervals if needed. Mine was after this first minute (so 3 minutes total), so I didn't need the additional cooking time.
- Add in shredded cheese and milk and mix in. Cook for an additional 30 seconds, then add in mashed avocado and pepper and stir. It's okay if the avocado has some chunks remaining. Stir until cheese and avocado is fully combined.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.