I saw these Oreo cupcakes a few weeks ago on Bakergirl and knew I wanted to try making them soon. I love the cookies and cream frosting. It reminds me of cookies and cream ice cream.
It took me a while to get to trying these out. I always dread frosting cupcakes. I’m really pleased with how these turned out though.
Bakergirl’s cupcakes uses a chocolate cupcake base, with an Oreo cookie baked inside and then an Oreo whipped cream frosting. I’ve done a lot of stuffed Oreo cookie recipes so I didn’t want to do that again. Instead, I thought it’d be fun to add some Oreo whipped cream frosting into the middle of these cupcakes, giving them an extra kick of cookies and cream and keeping the cupcakes very moist.
These cupcakes didn’t actually take that long to make, but they came out beautifully and taste delicious. Next time I’ll make these to take to a party.
The cupcake base is actually using Cook’s Illustrated Ultimate chocolate cupcakes, a recipe I’ve really wanted to try. This one only uses the cupcake base and not the ganache in the middle. I really liked the chocolate flavor of these cupcakes, so I’m definitely going to try the ultimate chocolate cupcake recipe soon.
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- 3/4 cup hot strong-brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup bread flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 6 Oreo cookies finely crushed
- 15 Oreos for the top of each cupcake
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Place chocolate and cocoa in a medium bowl and pour the hot coffee over the mixture. Whisk until smooth and transfer to the refrigerator to cool completely, 20-30 minutes.
- Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in a medium bowl; set aside. Whisk oil, eggs, vanilla, and vinegar into the cooled chocolate mixture until smooth. Add flour mixture and whisk until batter is smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until cupcakes are set and firm to the touch, 17-20 minutes. Allow to cool in pans before frosting.
- For the frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the heavy cream and sugar. Beat on medium-high speed until the whipped cream holds stiff peaks. Crush 6 oreo cookies in a food processor. Gently fold in the cookie crumbs with a spatula.
- Using the decorating piping tip, take the round end and press into the middle of the cupcake to scoop out part of the middle section of each cupcake. Pipe some frosting to fill the middle of each cupcake and then frosting the top of the cupcakes. Garnish with Oreo cookies.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.