- 3 1/4 cups of plain flour
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 1// cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tbsp red food coloring
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour 2 cupcake pans.
- In a small bowl, sift the flour and set aside. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl, whisk together the red food coloring, cocoa, and vanilla. Add to the batter and beat well.
- In a measuring cup, stir the salt into the milk. Add to the batter in three parts alternating with the flour. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated, but do not overbeat. In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda. Add to the batter and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well blended and the batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter among the prepared pans. Arrange the oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and bake the cupcakes, switching positions of the pans halfway through baking, until a tester comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool the cupcakes in the pan 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack before icing.
Recipe slightly adapted from a Magnolia Bakery recipe found on Tasted by Two