I’m not sure where the inspiration came for making this mug cake this week. It wasn’t a suggestion by a reader, it wasn’t some idea that popped into my head that I had jotted down. It just sort of magically appeared into my thoughts while I was in the kitchen. And once it was there, the question became, why hadn’t the thought appeared sooner? After all, I love red velvet cake.
I’m pretty picky when it comes to red velvet cakes. Going into this, I knew this would not be a perfect red velvet cake. Mug cakes are simple and as a result you do sacrifice some of the elements of a perfect cake. So this isn’t a perfect red velvet cake, but it’s a good quick fix.
And even though I don’t really enjoy cream cheese frosting, I made it just for this cake. Because the cake looked so lonely without it.
I was really proud at myself for opening the red food coloring bottle without staining my hands. And then carefully mixing it in and even washing my mixing utensils all without getting any red food coloring on my hands. And then I absent-mindedly grabbed a paper towel to dry my hands only to find that the end of the paper towel had drops of red dye, which I had rubbed onto my fingers. Damnit. So close. Hopefully no one during my lunch date noticed my red stained fingers.
Here’s the list of the rest of my mug cakes I’ve made so far.
Update: Please check out my new and improved red velvet mug cake here.
Red Velvet Mug Cake
For the cake
- 4 tbsp all- purpose flour
- 4 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp red food coloring
For the frosting
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Mix all the ingredients together into an oversized mug using a fork or small whisk until batter is smooth. Cook in microwave for about 1 min 30 seconds. It might need an additional 30 seconds. Be careful not to overcook as batter will become dense and rubbery.
- Let cake cool slightly before piping frosting. For frosting, combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix on high speed until light and fluffy. Pipe onto cake.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.